Windows 10 I got my new computer!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi Every one!

My new Falcon Northwest computer came yesterday.

I've got my weekend ahead setting everything up but I couldn't resist installing Steam and the
Witcher 3, just so I could see how it looks and runs.

First the specs...

It has a 5 gigahertz (GHz) 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8086K 40th Anniversary Edition processor. I opted not to Overclock it.

Liquid Cooling.

16 Gigabytes of 2666 MHz Ram, my old computer had 32 but I never felt that I was gaining anything by having that much.

750 Watt power supply.

Two 500 Gigabyte Intel SSD drives.
One drive is just for Steam, Gog and any other games I install.

The other SSD is partitioned, Windows goes on one partition and my graphics software (Photoshop etc.) goes on the other.

In addition there is a 4 Terabyte Western Digital Red Pro conventional hard drive for data storage and misc.

It has the new Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 video card based on the Turing Architecture.

I'm using the on-board sound and Ethernet.
I got a new set of Bose speakers.

It has Windows 10 Pro.

I also got a new LG 34" 21 by 9 wide screen 4k monitor.

I loaded up the Witcher 3 and I was blown away, the wide curved screen adds a lot of peripheral vision, and it's crystal clear.
Everything it set to Ultra and it runs as smooth as silk. The world really looks 3D, it's amazing.

Mike

I'm really happy with the performance of this 1080ti FE card, so I'm planning on skipping this iteration of GPU's if possible. Not seeing any ray-tracing requirements just yet. Still, if I see some major jumps in performance with the 2070 or 2080 cards, I might reconsider, but again, every game runs flawlessly already, so probably not.

2070 is around 1080 speeds for around 200$ more.
Holy schnikey! I have to admit, this is the first roll out of a new gpu series that I've not followed eagerly. The prices are really striking, and that's because there's no competition.

Hi Every one!

My new Falcon Northwest computer came yesterday.

I've got my weekend ahead setting everything up but I couldn't resist installing Steam and the
Witcher 3, just so I could see how it looks and runs.

First the specs...

It has a 5 gigahertz (GHz) 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8086K 40th Anniversary Edition processor. I opted not to Overclock it.

Liquid Cooling.

16 Gigabytes of 2666 MHz Ram, my old computer had 32 but I never felt that I was gaining anything by having that much.

750 Watt power supply.

Two 500 Gigabyte Intel SSD drives.
One drive is just for Steam, Gog and any other games I install.

The other SSD is partitioned, Windows goes on one partition and my graphics software (Photoshop etc.) goes on the other.

In addition there is a 4 Terabyte Western Digital Red Pro conventional hard drive for data storage and misc.

It has the new Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 video card based on the Turing Architecture.

I'm using the on-board sound and Ethernet.
I got a new set of Bose speakers.

It has Windows 10 Pro.

I also got a new LG 34" 21 by 9 wide screen 4k monitor.

I loaded up the Witcher 3 and I was blown away, the wide curved screen adds a lot of peripheral vision, and it's crystal clear.
Everything it set to Ultra and it runs as smooth as silk. The world really looks 3D, it's amazing.

Mike
I'd love to see games on that monitor. As for the sound, I've gone whole-hog for the blues and recently grabbed a pair of the best-sounding speakers I've ever heard. ADS L810's.
WALLOFSOUND.JPG

There's some serious speakers Trog!

Getting an ETA on my pre-ordered EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra this morning, hopefully it's soon. Jumping up from a 980Ti so should see a nice improvement.

There's some serious speakers Trog!

Getting an ETA on my pre-ordered EVGA 2080Ti XC Ultra this morning, hopefully it's soon. Jumping up from a 980Ti so should see a nice improvement.
Thanks! They are not only detailed and potent but utterly forgiving for any music. 94db efficiency so extremely easy to power, but they do need lots of high current, and I am extremely happy with the sound from this very inexpensive Emotiva 50wpc a-100 Flex amp. I should do a separate post on it, because I cannot imagine anyone's desktop needing more than what it produces, and that's not mentioning it being one of the most powerful headphone amps on the market, capable of powering just about any headphone, period.
EVGA wouldn't even give my supplier a date.... Luckily not only do i have a Zen chip but Zen like patience too (yeah right). I wish they'd bloody hurry up.
Looking forward to seeing what you say about the differences between the 2080ti and the 980ti. I went from the 980ti to the 1080ti for 4k gaming, so I might be able to glean some info on how the new card's performance looks vs the 1080ti. Still, I just can't see spending that kind of money just for a gaming GPU when the one I have is more than sufficient for every game I play, though I'm not one who plays competitively nor anything other than open-world RPGs for the most part.

Still, I just can't see spending that kind of money just for a gaming GPU when the one I have is more than sufficient for every game I play, though I'm not one who plays competitively nor anything other than open-world RPGs for the most part.
Agreed.

Unless I was a very rich bunny (which I'm not) I would probably stick with the 1080Ti too.

I'm currently running some old Logitech 2:1 speakers although for age they don't sound too bad I guess.
Nothing like what your running i'm sure.. :)

I started out gaming with a 5.1 logitech setup and it was all I needed for years. Then, after upgrading the pc I decided I wanted to go back to audiophile sound. The Klipsch 2.1 and 4.1 speaker systems were underwhelming, so I went with a cheap AVR and a pair of bookshelves. Now I'm using either a 242wpc Adcom gfa-555 power amp or the Emotiva a-100 Flex amp, and the Emotiva pt-100 preamp/DAC/tuner. The sound is exquisite. I'm thrilled with music again.

I started out gaming with a 5.1 logitech setup and it was all I needed for years. Then, after upgrading the pc I decided I wanted to go back to audiophile sound. The Klipsch 2.1 and 4.1 speaker systems were underwhelming, so I went with a cheap AVR and a pair of bookshelves. Now I'm using either a 242wpc Adcom gfa-555 power amp or the Emotiva a-100 Flex amp, and the Emotiva pt-100 preamp/DAC/tuner. The sound is exquisite. I'm thrilled with music again.
Also, I can't forget the special sauce; an SVS PB-2000 sub. Turns every song into 3D sound.

The Witcher 3 on Highest settings @ 4k will make it dip below 60 :)

The witcher 3 highest settings at 1440p will end up dipping below 60

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

The Witcher 3 on Highest settings @ 4k will make it dip below 60 :)
TW3 runs better than FO3 for me. No trouble with everything at Ultra and Hairworks set high. I get dips in FO4 and the card runs 5-10c hotter.

EDIT: I meant FO4

I get dips in FO4 and the card runs 5-10c hotter.
I just got my 980Ti when this game came out and i couldn't believe how the card struggled in certain areas especially in the built up city. The Ti at the time was the fastest thing around and almost on par with the Titan so what it was about those places I'm unsure, maybe poorly optimised or something?

Yeah, I got my 980ti just for TW3, but I didn't really start playing it, past the training start, for about two months after release. By then it was running smooth.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was a lot longer than two months before I started playing. In fact, soon after I started playing it, I upgraded to the 1080ti for 4k and by then, TW3 was optimized.

Hi
I paid about $200 more for the 2080 than the 1080 ti after looking at a comparison of the two.
I will soon buy the new Tomb Raider Game which is designed to take advantage of the new capabilities of the 20000 series cards.

I have all the games that I'm playing now set up to run at the 21 by 9 aspect ration, the only one that gave me problems was Skyrim but it's working now. Tomb Raider and The Witcher are the most spectacular.

All of the games that I could let choose the settings, set everything to max settings automatically.
The Witcher looks really fantastic, I'm running a mod that up-scales the textures to 4k and it runs really smoothly.

The only place I'm seeing any issues is with some of my 3D creation software, there I think the decision to not go with 32 gigs of ram is coming into play. It's not too bad but I may add another 16 gigs if it keeps bogging down, but I've really been pushing it just to see what it will do.

It doesn't seem to like me running textures with a 16,000 pixel max width. But I don't really that anyway for a real project, just for testing.

Mike

Back