Windows 7 I have to reinstall sound-card drivers every time I start PC

Basher

Honorable Member
Hey Guys,

I have a very annoying problem, I have a xFI sound-card and every time I start my PC I have to reinstall the card's drivers. I have 2 pci slots on my board and an ATI pci express Radion. When I put the card in the other slot right next to the graphics card it works no problem what so ever accept it is blocking the graphics card fan and the GPU heat doubles so this is not acceptable.

I have tried a audigy sound card in the slot and it works OK.

I think it is probably and interrupt clash but I don't know how to check this out.

I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

Any ideas anyone?

Basher

A couple of possibilities come to mind. First, it could be a bad PCI slot as you have already pointed out. You could update chipset driver for your mobo and even go as far as a BIOS update. You could just pull the card and use your onboard sound from your mobo. Also, have a look in your BIOS for any thing to do with PCI slots being enabled/disabled.

I have done a bios update (forgot to mention that - sorry)
I have another sound card that works ok in the slot with no problems.
I could use the MB sound bur the sound from my xFI card out performs the MB one.

Are chipset drivers and bios update the same thing?

Basher

You can use msinfo32 to check for conflicts and resource sharing. I have not tried to change the resources a device uses in Windows 7, so I cannot comment if that might be an option.

I have done a bios update (forgot to mention that - sorry)
I have another sound card that works ok in the slot with no problems.
I could use the MB sound bur the sound from my xFI card out performs the MB one.

Are chipset drivers and bios update the same thing?

Basher

A BIOS update and chipset driver are totally two different things. A chipset driver is for your north/south bridge and the BIOS is the firmware update for your mobo. The chipset driver you download and install with sometimes a reboot. A BIOS update has to go through the BIOS and is pretty intensive and if your not careful enough or know what your doing you can brick your system..rendering it completely useless. A big big difference.

Have you tried just uninstalling the card in Device Manager and then rebooting and letting Windows configure it again?

Back