Windows Vista Icons changing randonly

harrym

Hello all..I am new to this site. I have been using windows since the 3.0 days. I have 2 new PCs, a desktop and a laptop ( Oct./08 ) and both have Vista on them. On my desktop, the icons changed by themselves eg..the weather channel now has the ebay icon and ebay has the Nascar icon and so on. I have no idea why this happened. I tried re-doing my shortcuts but the proper icon will not appear on my desktop. This just happened a couple of days ago. I even did a system restore to an earlier date but this didn't help.
As for my laptop, I cannot get the icon form the web site that I am on,just the explorer icon. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Harry

I think but not for sure on this though, that most every web sites and apps out there are doing face lifts on the icons and sites and apps as well. I have noticed that several of my icons have changed as well but so has the site that that particular icon went to. Google just changed their icon yesterday when I logged on to my computer for the first time that day and went exploring. Weird that all seem to be doing this at the same time.

Hello all..I am new to this site. I have been using windows since the 3.0 days. I have 2 new PCs, a desktop and a laptop ( Oct./08 ) and both have Vista on them. On my desktop, the icons changed by themselves eg..the weather channel now has the ebay icon and ebay has the Nascar icon and so on. I have no idea why this happened. I tried re-doing my shortcuts but the proper icon will not appear on my desktop. This just happened a couple of days ago. I even did a system restore to an earlier date but this didn't help.
As for my laptop, I cannot get the icon form the web site that I am on,just the explorer icon. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Harry

Hi Harry,

try running antivirus and antispyware programs and see what they find..

I ran Norton 360 and it didn't find anything wrong. I deleted the icon for Ebay and got on Ebay by a different means and created a nwe shortcut. The Ebay icon did not appear but another did like a large "Z". I don't know what to make of it.

Harry

I thought I had done a system restore but a window came up later saying it did not restore. I tried 3 more times choosing different dates and get the same message that it did not restore..Any ideas ????

Finally got it. I was having problems doing a system restore..it wouldn't do it. I tried doing it in Safe Mode and it worked and my icons are proper again. I still don't know what caused them to change places...wrong icons but OK now.

Back