Windows 7 IE8 & Mozilla freeze my whole PC while browsing.

sotorious

This is going to be a very detailed description and i apologize ahead of time for its length.

Since 12/12/09 I've had my first freeze (i had to go back and track everything) I recently had a memory problem which caused me to upgrade my mobo and my ram and come to find out it was just my ram that was the problem... So i got new motherboard on 12/5/09 then i recived my new ram on 12/9/09, then i got my first freeze while browsing 12/12/09 @ first i thought it was my usb ports dieing just because when it would happen my mouse and keyboard lights would go off. So I thought it was a 1 time thing weeks keep passing by and it would happen from time to time. Then one day i found out it was my whole pc freezing as i glanced at the time and it was 10 mins behind from my regular time, as i left it on to scope around the pc, i then unplugged both mouse and keyboard and put my external in those ports just to make sure it wasnt ports my external hard drives powered up. Then I thought the problem was just on IE i uninstalled adobe (which i think adobe has a big part to do why my system is freezing while browsing) and left it only on firefox my pc didnt freeze for 8 days.. from 12/26/09 to 1/4/10 then i installed flash again on IE cause i wanted to see steams specials they had going on at the time, so later on in the day my pc frooze, then i got it to freeze again by trying to get it to freeze on purpose.

I then uninstalled adobe again (using adobe's uninstaller)and then left it only on firefox... then firefox froze but in a different way. IE usally freezes from when i switch from 1 tab to the next. Mozilla froze when i was loading some pics on a forum So then i thought maybe it was because i was using the beta drivers of my gfx card or that i just had steam running in the background. So i installed the WHQL's of nvidia and left it at that (this was last night) so far i havent seen any crashes, but then again it can go a week without a crash) Also another note I have never crashed while in games, my Event Viewer tell's me nothing but that the pc turned off with out being properly shut down. So I wanna give it 1 last shot before i reformat seeing maybe if you guys could help me. I would hate to reformat just because of a browser..

I have came up with a list of what was installed after i put in the new mobo including ram, i was thinking maybe cause my ram is xmp mode??? then i told my self can't be since i never froze while in a game.

I took a screen shot of everything that was installed after 12/5/09 since that is when i got my mobo, i also got a mouse on 12/17/09 but the freezing was happening before i got this new mouse. One thing i did find in event viewer that has been popping up alot is

"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded." - but i narrowed that down to being my 2nd monitor being added which was done on 12/17/09, thought it was drivers at first that is what made me go back to the WHQL's

Everything is up to date, from bios to chipset to GFX card to sound drivers.

Specs:
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 ( the other mobo I had before was just an Asus p6t, thats why i never did a clean install of 7 again)
Corsair Dominators 3x2gb TR3X6G1600C8D
Evga GTX 260 216 Core
Corsiar PSU 750w
Caviar Black 1tb(windows), Caviar Green 1TB, WD MyBook 1tb External, WD MyBook 500gb External
Saitek II Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Dual LG 22" monitors L226WTQ
On Board Audio
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Something I forgot to mention was i did find a malware which was a hijack ran malware bytes to find it went over to the guys at pc help forum and had them double check my system they said they saw nothing. I am also wondering maybe if CCleaner screwed anything up when i ran the registry cleanup. I please ask for help and thank you ahead of time.

I been having major issues with this pc, thats what made me go threw a new mobo and ram i was battling with the ram for about a month and thats another long story that i don't want to get into.

Last edited:
i know its a lot to read but i dont know what else to do.
It wasn't all that difficult to read although a little much to try and remember while replying

Did i type to much?
No not too much, but plenty.
I noticed in one part you mentioned that your machine froze, because you caused it to freeze. I would be very interested in how exactly you did that.
If your problem seems to be mainly involving gaming then I suspect that some of the gaming gurus here will be better able to help
I would however like to see a post of your startup items, type system information in the search box and hit enter, expand software environment and select Startup Programs...snip it and post it.
Also I'd be interested if you are doing any type of overclocking?
And I would suggest, that you check your memory manufacturer's website and investigate how they spec it out. Voltages and timings then check your system bios and see how your motherboard is handling it specific to those two specs.

Last edited:
It wasn't all that difficult to read although a little much to try and remember while replying

No not too much, but plenty.
I noticed in one part you mentioned that your machine froze, because you caused it to freeze. I would be very interested in how exactly you did that.
If your problem seems to be mainly involving gaming then I suspect that some of the gaming gurus here will be better able to help
I would however like to see a post of your startup items, type system information in the search box and hit enter, expand software environment and select Startup Programs...snip it and post it.
Also I'd be interested if you are doing any type of overclocking?
And I would suggest, that you check your memory manufacturer's website and investigate how they spec it out. Voltages and timings then check your system bios and see how your motherboard is handling it specific to those two specs.

How i caused it was with IE on this one, i had both adobes installed on both browsers, i had nytimes.com open and i had myspace playing mafia wars since i know they both use flash i would keep clicking on mafia wars and then click to the nytimes tab every once and a while then eventually it froze as soon as i clicked on the tab, i was only able to do that once and i wasn't sure how.

Gaming i have no problem at all zero nada never ever ever has it crashed on me while i was gaming only web browsing. just earlier today i was in event viewer looking for something that may have been loading up while the crashes were happening and i ended up freezing there as well with the web browser opened up in the background, wasn't using it at the time just had some pages loaded.

i just gone done running a 7 hour and 35 min prime 95 stress blend test 0 errors, also 2 or 3 days ago i ran an 11 hour memtest.

for my memory i was running it in xmp mode, what they recommend. i could be wrong though ill tripple check over there, reason being is that i play FINE in games and this is only really a desktop issue.

here is a screen shot of my start up.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

Last edited:
OK, since it would seem that you've pretty much narrowed it down to an issue with the browsers. Please go here and use these browser safe mode techniques to narrow it down further to potential problems resulting from addons or plugins. Try concentrating on a single browser at a time and if the browser(s) fun fine under their respective safemode conditions, then I would suspect that you will have to start the process of disabling addons and re-enabling them one at a time to find the culprit
How to run Firefox or Internet Explorer without addons in safe mode

only bad thing is it doesn't happen for days at a time, should i just keep running it in safe mode?

im not 100% sure its the browser but im pretty sure...

Last edited:
Good question, I was thinking that it was more of a persistent and consistent annoyance. Possible another approach would be to in IE-8 go to tools->manage addons and then try only enabling the addons as they are required to view something on a particular site. You descirbed earlier an issue with a couple sites that were using flash, so enable the flash add-on and try your trick to get it to freeze. What I suspect is it may very well be a combination of plugins or addons...say a third party antivirus product that has some sort of safe browsing feature or other I know AVG has something like this...this combined with other addons or perhaps just by itself maybe causing the issue, but I would start with that suspicion in mind

Well i just did a clean reformat. Lets see how this thing acts. Im limiting the programs i download.

All i need to do is download a few things like ultramon cpuz and some other stuff i hope to god that this is all done and over with.

Last edited:
I spoke wayyy to sooon i dont know what to do anymore this time it froze on me when aim was opened i was in the options trying to disable the aim todays page and then it froze......

which i think the aim today has flash...

thats where it froze when i was about to click an option

these events happen 5 mins before the crash happened about at 410.

4:05 am

Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL -
15 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000:
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPeople
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Root
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\trust
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\CA
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\Disallowed
Process 3112 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\msiexec.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\SmartCardRoot

4:05am

DCOM got error "1069" attempting to start the service upnphost with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{204810B9-73B2-11D4-BF42-00B0D0118B56}

The upnphost service was unable to log on as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService with the currently configured password due to the following error:
The security account manager (SAM) or local security authority (LSA) server was in the wrong state to perform the security operation.

To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

The UPnP Device Host service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

The upnphost service was unable to log on as NT AUTHORITY\LocalService with the currently configured password due to the following error:
The request is not supported.

To ensure that the service is configured properly, use the Services snap-in in Microsoft Management Console (MMC).

The UPnP Device Host service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not start due to a logon failure.

4:10 28am

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

4:10 59am

The content source <csc://{S-1-5-21-1215785520-2173831582-646944407-1000}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
The URL was already processed during this update. If you received this message while processing alerts, then the alerts are redundant, or else Modify should be used instead of Add. (HRESULT : 0x80040d0d) (0x80040d0d)

Last edited:
another update. woke up pc froze at 9:58 am, browsers were sitting in the background i was messing with aim scrolling up and down my buddy list. then it froze, this is a totally different aim now. The other aim was 5.9 this one is aim 7.1.

I now have turned xmp off turned everything to manual let windows configure my ram. If it freezes again i dont know where else to go next.

Things i had running in the browser were sevenforums.com, bleepingcomputer.com, nexusoneofurm.net and this thread, i also had steam and aim open.

Last edited:
Wow, I think if I would have went to all the problem of doing a format and clean install, I would have spent some time actually doing some trouble shooting with the information I had gained through previous events. Like perhaps not installing anything (nothing no additional software other than driver updates which of course you need after the clean install) except the flash addon for IE8 and spending some time beating on the browser on flash sites and see if I could reproduce the problem. Then maybe the same with Firefox and test further. I hope turning off xmp does the trick for you keep us posted.

Ill try i found this program called viewpoint media player it comes with aim installations i wonder if that has any effect, i was trying to do some searches to see if anyone has any problems but does not look like it.

I think the issues you need to address is actually less programs, not trying more. If we could digress, just briefly, earlier your claims seemed to be that except for internet browsing your computer worked fine. So of course, after a clean install like you just did, you would want to spend some time and confirm that, that was actually the case..I know the problem doesn't present itself with a degree of consistency that makes this easy, but if anything regarding this issue was easy, then you would have it fixed by now and telling us how you did it. It may of course just be me, but it seems from your posts that the problem may be becoming a little more persistent, I don't know. Anyway so now you have a clean computer brand new OS install, no additional programs added, add the Flash addon to IE8 and do your you-tube and other flash enabled site stuff and test it for a while, still doing background stuff, like event viewer browsing, I don't know play solitare. Just try to be a little bit more conscientious and deliberate on your way back from a clean install, thereby enabling you to determine what the heck's going on with the freezes

Right now i want to say its safe to say it may not be adobe as it has been completley removed since last night and a freeze occured this morning. Right now the test is XMP.

I have the exact same stuff running again with a few more tabs open (still leaving adobe uninstalled as of right now) have steam, aim, ventrilo and Mozilla open trying to get my random freeze. In a way yes ive also noticed that it has been freezing a lot more lately which hopefully means im close!

ill keep you updated, and if you think of anything i will be constantly refreshing web pages looking for answers.

I don't really suspect that it's an adobe flash problem since there are just too many problem free installs, including mine. But it could very well be adobe flash +1, in other words a combination of addons. However, you may very well find out that it's not actually a browser issue at all, and it maybe purely coincidental that you've assiciated it with a browser because that seems to be what you're doing at the time that the freeze occurs.

I have a history already with this computer and is has been nothing but problems, i fix one solution another one shows up. right now im noticing at the bottom my AOL Instant Messenger there are ads changing. im keeping my eye on them as to where i only have forum links open and chatting on aim.

XMP mode may be it but way to soon to speak, only reason why im doubting it is cause Prime95, and gaming say otherwise as they don't freeze when i play them.

Is it safe to rule out the cpu in this situation?

also have you heard of viewpoint media player? that is my next step

Last edited:
I don't think that it's safe to rule out anything. If you remember in my first post, I asked a question about overclocking and that's because I suspected CPU issues initially. The good knews is that generally, not always of course, but generally cpu problems will produce either a BSOD or your freeze will look something like your graphics card just went south, like a gray screen with very narrow horizontal lines. I haven't actually seen a CPU bomb and leave a perfectly readable desktop like you displayed earlier. Of course your mileage may vary

Only time will tell anyway ill keep you posted, if you think of anything at all just post and ill be willing to try that "next".

Back