Windows 7 IE8 & Mozilla freeze my whole PC while browsing.

I would like to update you people, I think i found the problem. It was the XMP mode on my corsair ram. Which is funny since it never crashed in games only while pretty much browsing / sitting at the desktop. 8 days ago i turned it off and i havent had a freeze yet. Longest time without a freeze with XMP mode was 8 days. So I'm giving it another 2 to 4 days before i can give a 100% yes that this was the problem. After those 2 to 4 games I will go back and turn it on and check to see if it freezes again just so i can be 101% sure.

It's Windows 7 We're all having similar freezing problems!

Don't fret. it is Windows 7 that is causing Mozilla and I suppose from what I have read IE to freeze. I Have to restart over and over again. When I look in task manager it shows mozilla AND open window. don't know what the open window is. When I force a restart it says explorer needs to close when I don't have explorer active or open. I understand you can't fully remove explorer (which i thought may be interfering), but i thought I would try. Too bad it's just us here and no mozilla staff trying to help. May be I'll just resort to using IE which is what they probably are trying to make me do. installed as many possible solution add ons ad plug ins as I could. google talk can't work well with it either.

*slow
*freezes
*can't open up new windows, just new tabs
*can't open embedded links

Good Luck! So glad it's not just me.
check this out. but no microsoft people help and mozilla staff are at a loss apparently too - hoping we'll just figure it out on our own.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

This is going to be a very detailed description and i apologize ahead of time for its length.

Since 12/12/09 I've had my first freeze (i had to go back and track everything) I recently had a memory problem which caused me to upgrade my mobo and my ram and come to find out it was just my ram that was the problem... So i got new motherboard on 12/5/09 then i recived my new ram on 12/9/09, then i got my first freeze while browsing 12/12/09 @ first i thought it was my usb ports dieing just because when it would happen my mouse and keyboard lights would go off. So I thought it was a 1 time thing weeks keep passing by and it would happen from time to time. Then one day i found out it was my whole pc freezing as i glanced at the time and it was 10 mins behind from my regular time, as i left it on to scope around the pc, i then unplugged both mouse and keyboard and put my external in those ports just to make sure it wasnt ports my external hard drives powered up. Then I thought the problem was just on IE i uninstalled adobe (which i think adobe has a big part to do why my system is freezing while browsing) and left it only on firefox my pc didnt freeze for 8 days.. from 12/26/09 to 1/4/10 then i installed flash again on IE cause i wanted to see steams specials they had going on at the time, so later on in the day my pc frooze, then i got it to freeze again by trying to get it to freeze on purpose.

I then uninstalled adobe again (using adobe's uninstaller)and then left it only on firefox... then firefox froze but in a different way. IE usally freezes from when i switch from 1 tab to the next. Mozilla froze when i was loading some pics on a forum So then i thought maybe it was because i was using the beta drivers of my gfx card or that i just had steam running in the background. So i installed the WHQL's of nvidia and left it at that (this was last night) so far i havent seen any crashes, but then again it can go a week without a crash) Also another note I have never crashed while in games, my Event Viewer tell's me nothing but that the pc turned off with out being properly shut down. So I wanna give it 1 last shot before i reformat seeing maybe if you guys could help me. I would hate to reformat just because of a browser..

I have came up with a list of what was installed after i put in the new mobo including ram, i was thinking maybe cause my ram is xmp mode??? then i told my self can't be since i never froze while in a game.

I took a screen shot of everything that was installed after 12/5/09 since that is when i got my mobo, i also got a mouse on 12/17/09 but the freezing was happening before i got this new mouse. One thing i did find in event viewer that has been popping up alot is

\"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.\" - but i narrowed that down to being my 2nd monitor being added which was done on 12/17/09, thought it was drivers at first that is what made me go back to the WHQL's

Everything is up to date, from bios to chipset to GFX card to sound drivers.

Specs:
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe v2 ( the other mobo I had before was just an Asus p6t, thats why i never did a clean install of 7 again)
Corsair Dominators 3x2gb TR3X6G1600C8D
Evga GTX 260 216 Core
Corsiar PSU 750w
Caviar Black 1tb(windows), Caviar Green 1TB, WD MyBook 1tb External, WD MyBook 500gb External
Saitek II Keyboard
Logitech G500 Mouse
Dual LG 22\" monitors L226WTQ
On Board Audio
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Something I forgot to mention was i did find a malware which was a hijack ran malware bytes to find it went over to the guys at pc help forum and had them double check my system they said they saw nothing. I am also wondering maybe if CCleaner screwed anything up when i ran the registry cleanup. I please ask for help and thank you ahead of time.

I been having major issues with this pc, thats what made me go threw a new mobo and ram i was battling with the ram for about a month and thats another long story that i don't want to get into.

My browsers were freezing up after I downloaded skype and found that I had to uninstall skype web features. After that no more freezing. I don't know if anybody else has had that happen, but thinking that might be the problem or part of the problem with IE8 freezing.

Last edited:
yeah i read that before somewhere else. removed and uninstalled skype and any add ons and google talk but same problem when reinstalled. but thank you very much!

yeah i read that before somewhere else. removed and uninstalled skype and any add ons and google talk but same problem when reinstalled. but thank you very much!

You don't uninstall skype just skype web features. Skype will work without the web features.

You go to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall Programs.

In uninstall programs scroll down till you come to skype web features. click on that and hit uninstall. Do not uninstall skype which is right below it. It solved my trouble with freezing up. I don't know if that is what is causing your troubles but it could very well be. My wife had same problem as me. She has had no problems since. Skype will still work.

Thank you again for your help. But I tried on all my computers to find such an option of "web features". There is nothing that I can see. You have only the option to uninstall the full skype. I even looked inthe program file and through all the extras and such...i can't find anything resembling "web features" but thank you. I'll uninstall skype again and test they system without it. But i have a sneaking suspicion that ....well I'll try. thanks a lot for your time. I'll let you know.

You go to Start>Control Panel>Uninstall Programs.

In uninstall programs scroll down till you come to skype web features. click on that and hit uninstall. Do not uninstall skype which is right below it. It solved my trouble with freezing up. I don't know if that is what is causing your troubles but it could very well be. My wife had same problem as me. She has had no problems since. Skype will still work.

Back
Top Bottom