Windows 10 Incompatible screen stopping upgrade to win 10

DavidZz

I think this thread title might describe my problem, but I'm not sure.

I have an Acer Aspire One (532h-2588) netbook that I purchased in 2010. I want to update it to Windows 10.

The GWX utility (system tray icon) says the netbook is compatible. When I try to update or just download Win 10 using this utility, it hangs on "Starting Download."

When I clicked on the link that pops up in the bottom right hand corner of this forum and click on the update button, the diagnostic says that my display is not compatible and to contact the manufacturer.

What do you think, is my netbook compatible or not? If yes, how should I do the update?

What do you think, is my netbook compatible or not? If yes, how should I do the update?
Hi DavidZz,
I did have a look for your netbook and I think it could be this one on the screenshot below. You will also notice there are zero drivers available for Windows 10. I would advise you not to upgrade:
no.jpg

You can stop the constant nags from Microsoft by using the app found here:
GWX Control Panel

Yes, kemical, I think you're correct that Acer doesn't support this netbook for Windows 10.

The strange thing is that if you Google "Acer netbook windows 10" you'll see a lot of people who claim to have done the upgrade successfully.

The strange thing is that if you Google "Acer netbook windows 10" you'll see a lot of people who claim to have done the upgrade successfully.

Yup the upgrade may well work but in reality this machine was never designed for Windows 10.

Driver support is basically nil so if you ever had to clean install you might be stuck for drivers. It is of course ultimately up to you but as I mentioned before I advise against upgrading.

Not designed for W10, but I got my AcerOne working without problems. Being in Austria, I can't access it now. Give me 2 weeks time and I will be able to see if I have the same netbook and how I solved it. Not much of a help now, sorry.

Another owner on this forum is Bigbearjedi and as I understood him well, he got his netbook also on W10.

But it keeps a very very smal thing, not that useful, but lovely to play with.

Henk

Last edited:
I entirely agree with you that the laptop will probably upgrade fine but just feel uncomfortable advising a layman to go for it when there's no driver support.
Henk both you and BBJ are experts and you know what will happen in the future when or if an issue crops up? The user will be advised to update his drivers with non being available.

Agreed. I should have said that right away.

It is a netbook close to or over End-Of-Live and very small and limited. It is a toy, play with it, have fun with it, try W10 / Linux whatever. But don't touch it when you still want to do any 'normal' work with it.

Henk

It is a netbook close to or over End-Of-Live and very small and limited.

I really feel it's Microsoft who's out of order here.

Whilst it's true laptops like these will upgrade I wish that Microsoft would make it clear that due to the machines age that driver support is probably limited.
I told my Microsoft lead and she had to agree that it wasn't the best scenario.

It's an old netbook that's not very useful to me at this point. It's used to be my travel PC, but it's been replaced.

The netbook is much slower than it used to be, so I thought that updating it to Windows 10 would give it a fresh start.

If I try to update it, I have these questions:

1) If there's no driver for the display, will Windows 10 just automatically deploy a generic display driver? Or will I need to find a display driver? (Also, is a display driver the same as or different than a video driver?)

2) Since the GWX/system tray utility didn't work and the Microsoft update page didn't work, is my only update option to download an ISO to a USB drive?

I really feel it's Microsoft who's out of order here.

Whilst it's true laptops like these will upgrade I wish that Microsoft would make it clear that due to the machines age that driver support is probably limited.
I told my Microsoft lead and she had to agree that it wasn't the best scenario.

What I find particularly disturbing is that the system tray utility says that my netbook is Windows 10 compatible, but the upgrade page says the display is not compatible. Shouldn't these 2 evaluations be the same? Also, why won't the system tray download Windows 10?

Shouldn't these 2 evaluations be the same
Yes they should and I think this is possibly linked to why the system tray won't download Windows 10.
Microsoft is saying that a device driver is probably in the pipeline but until it is released the system tray app will hold off downloading Windows 10 for you.
So basically yes your machine will be compatible but only after a driver is released via Windows Update.

Hi David,
Interesting issues you are having. Bochane mentioned that both he and I were able to get our respective Acer netbooks working with W10, but as kemical astutely noted, we are both experts and don't mind jumping through endless hoops to get something working that's really out of date. My little AspireOne was donated to me by a Customer who attempted to upgrade it to W10 and spent months trying to do so. He's not a novice, but not an expert either. This Acer netbook he bought for travel and it came with XP on it--so it's definitely out of date. Nevertheless, it worked and I had lots of problems with it until I maxxed the RAM out at 2GB. My Customer bought it with only 1GB and that's really problematic when trying to do a W10 download install via the White Flag system tray update method.

I just posted tonight that I just got it working with a dual-boot of Ubuntu 14.04LTS (Linux) and W10 running together side-by-side on the same hard drive. That wasn't straighforward either, but I did it.:teeth:

If you can get it running great, if not you can fool around with it or take it to a local Computer Pro in your area and pay him to do it for you. Or just install Ubuntu or Zorin or another Linux on it and use it for light duty such as browsing, facebook, E-mail, news, etc.

At least you know it's possible. also, this is a secondary laptop for me and I only use it for real work occasionally. I use a $1100 Sony Vaio hi-performance 17" laptop for my entertainment and real customer onsite visits mostly.

Hope that gives you some insight. :up:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back