Windows 10 Indicator looking thing - Can't get rid of

Keno

On the top right of my first monitor, there is a strange rectangle that takes over my screen, it acts non-existent. I cannot click on it or anything of that nature. I've tried everything, simply rebooting my computer, changing monitor settings, even resetting monitor settings, I've even tried many random key combinations. Its very indescribable so I would have no idea what to search up. I don't know if this is a windows thing or not but I have no idea what else I would even post this on. Please help! :D
23607-8e0809bba7d822958e6cb2fabb7ed427.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    457.6 KB · Views: 390
It looks like some kind of a balancing device?? Do you have a thirs party sound card or similar. It could be the stereo control.

Perhaps a member with the same symbol could help out.

I tried an image search but found nothing of interest.
David's idea sounds favourite tho about it being related to audio. If you do have a audio icon running in the taskbar try right clicking on it and see what options appear or right click the thing itself (which I'm sure you've tried so sorry if you have).

Perhaps in 'Task Control' (Ctrl - Del), tab 'Start up' - you could try there switching - off some tasks, reboot and see if it is related.
(Don't forget to switch them on again)

A better way to find out where this "widget" is coming from is to boot up your PC into SAFE MODE. In Win10 this can be more of a challenge as the oft-used <F8> interrupt key in early versions of Windows (XP-Win8.1) do not work in Win10 on most computers. You have to use the MSCONFIG.EXE command to turn on SAFE MODE. We recommend a further option; SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING. Here's a link to show you how to do this: Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in

The above link and instructions give you a way to get to Safe Mode in Win10 on almost all computers. Once you do this, and your "widget" disappears, that means that the "widget" is being launched by an app in your Win10, most likely on startup. The Safe Mode disables all programs as well as spawned services from those launced apps from ever launching at boot time. If you do this, and the "widget" disappears" from your screen in Safe Mode; you have narrowed it down to software. You can use the Startup tab to systematically re-enable by checking boxes each of the apps in your Startup group. This is called diagnostic mode. This is a common tool we Techs use to troubleshoot a troublesome app or to search it down for removal. I like to go into diagnostic mode, Startup tab, and re-enable only 3 apps at a time; reboot and retest to see if your problem abates or returns. This iterative process takes some time, often several hours to find the misbehaving apps. If you have a 100 or so apps launching in your Startup group every time your Win10 boots up, it can take a while to find the bad app. Again like 33 reboots are required to do this. If re-enabling apps process doesn't narrow it down for you, you'll have to repeat the process using the Services tab, and removing all Services, 3 at a time or 1 at a time whichever you prefer. Once you find the misbehaving service, you can use google to lookup the service such as "atigskmgr.exe", and remove it if necessary.

One last tip, if your problem isn't resolved by using the iterative Startup item removal method and you find a bad service, you may not be able to remove it, even in Safe Mode, unless you disable any antivirus or antispyware or firewall software running on your computer in order to remove the bad service as well as the offending app.

Nailing down a problem like this isn't easy and requires expert Windows troubleshooting skills, so you if you try and have no luck you may consider taking your PC to your local Computer Pro and pay him to do it for you. If you have more money than time (like you work 3 jobs!), this might be a good option.

If you have more questions, post back and we'll advise you further.

Best of luck, :encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

In addition to what my 'Big Bearded' friend just advised some extra, maybe even not useful at all., information

You can reduce the number of restarts in the following way. At the first time just select halve of the apps. After this you know whether it is an app in this halve or an app in the other halve. Then you select again halve of the halve you suspect your app causing this is in. After this you know in which quarter your app is again. Continue this until you found your app. To select one app out of 128 will take 7 steps this way....

Take it for what it is worth and also best of luck!!

Is that an Asus motherboard? I believe that uncompleted drivers iunstalls on those can cause the rectangle to appear. Try updating a few drivers.
By the way. Heavy stuff in that link for exiting to safe mode. Maybe it doesn't work for all, but I have found the easiest way is, in the log in screen, whilst holding down the shift key, hit the power icon and select restart.

In addition to what my 'Big Bearded' friend just advised some extra, maybe even not useful at all., information

You can reduce the number of restarts in the following way. At the first time just select halve of the apps. After this you know whether it is an app in this halve or an app in the other halve. Then you select again halve of the halve you suspect your app causing this is in. After this you know in which quarter your app is again. Continue this until you found your app. To select one app out of 128 will take 7 steps this way....

Take it for what it is worth and also best of luck!!
>>>Henk, yes, this is an easier way, but I prefer to do things the hard way!! LMAO. :rofl: Great suggestion here! Thanks for the assist. :D<<<
BBJ

Regarding Bochane's Post #6: Yes, this is a much faster way to do it, I agree. You should keep notes with a pencil and paper while trying to do this in any case. Especially if you have over 100 apps launching in your Startup Group!

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

Download procexp, click and hold on the cross-hair icon and move your mouse over the control and release the mouse. Procexp should then highlight which process the control is for.
Process Explorer

This was helpful. I did this and Process Explorer says it is coming from CorsairHIDD (Corsair Utility Engine). That makes sense because I have a Corsair keyboard and this image first appeared when I accidentally did some key combination on my keyboard. I have posted this to the Corsair user forums to see if anybody there recognizes it. Thanks.

This was helpful. I did this and Process Explorer says it is coming from CorsairHIDD (Corsair Utility Engine). That makes sense because I have a Corsair keyboard and this image first appeared when I accidentally did some key combination on my keyboard. I have posted this to the Corsair user forums to see if anybody there recognizes it. Thanks.

Figured it out... I read the manual for my keyboard and saw something about toggling an On Screen Display (OSD) on/off. I followed the instructions to toggle it off and it went away.

Thanks to all for their help with this issue. This is a great forum.

Hi Keno: Thanks for posting back your solution and final result to share with the rest of our forum users!:up: I too have a Corsair Gaming keyboard; in fact it's a Raptor K40 and I too remember an onscreen widget when I first installed it on my computer. It's turned off now, I think I may have installed the software to program it on W7, but when I upgraded to W10 that's not there any longer. I think if I reinstall the Raptor software I'd get it again, but I haven't looked on the Raptor site to see if they upgraded their keyboard software to upgrade W10.

Glad you got it fixed!!:ohyea:

Best of luck,:encouragement:
BBJ :apple:

Back