Windows 10 Infinite boot loop - flashes winpeshl.exe

Reggie P

Hello!
I joined the forums due to a problem I am having with my son's PC - We upgraded to windows 10 and everything worked great - better than 7 - he was in heaven and his games played the best they ever did. THEN one morning it wouldn't boot anymore - just en endless PC repair loop where I cannot get into safe mode, or boot from a CD or much of anything....

I can get into bios area (I think) but I can't get the desktop to appear. What I do see when it is trying to boot is a window that flashes for less than a second before it goes into repair. The window is black, but at the top reads winpeshl.exe and then it is gone. Does this mean anything to anyone? Help!

I joined the forums due to a problem I am having with my son's PC - We upgraded to windows 10 and everything worked great - better than 7 - he was in heaven and his games played the best they ever did. THEN one morning it wouldn't boot anymore - just en endless PC repair loop where I cannot get into safe mode, or boot from a CD or much of anything....

I can get into bios area (I think) but I can't get the desktop to appear. What I do see when it is trying to boot is a window that flashes for less than a second before it goes into repair. The window is black, but at the top reads winpeshl.exe and then it is gone. Does this mean anything to anyone? Help!

Hi Reggie,
sorry to hear you're having problems with Win10. lots of folks in your boat.

it would be very helpful to have the exact make/model of the computer you're getting this error message on.

Sounds like you got a virus or malware in there that scrambled some of your Windows systems library files. Or your hard drive could be failing.

In the meantime, take a look here:
What's winpeshl.exe?Best How to Fix winpeshl.exe Error Guide

Post back your answers and results of trying the fix I linked you to and we'll be happy to advise you further.

Win10 runs really solid as you say, so unless your son went to a dodgy gaming site and you got a bad virus, Win10 doesn't randomly crash unless you have failed hardware. If your computer had Win7 on it, realize it's 4-6 years old, and the hard drives in computers these days are designed to last only 2 yrs., so if you haven't replaced the hard drive on that Win7 computer, there's a very big chance it's the hard drive that's failing randomnly due to old age.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Important Note:
WARNING: Try this method only if you are willing to risk your data. I am not forcing anyone. This method worked for me.
Keep your laptop charged before trying this method. Do not overcharge. I had kept it plugged in but see to it that the laptop or charger doesnot heat too much.

First let me tell you my issue see if it correlates to yours:
I minimized chrome and closed my lenovo 320 ideapad laptop without powering it off, when i came back it displayed a black screen with only a cursor which was under my control.
It would not go off even after pressing the power button.
After long pressing the power button for a time period of say 8 secs. It went off finally.
On powering it on, the usual lenovo name along with the unusual Preparing Automatic Repair message was displayed along with the loading loop.
A dialog box named "winpeshl.exe" just flashed too fast. On recording a video I was able to read the name "winpeshl.exe".
I searched about it online and tried everything possible. Including this link: Another Windows 10 Black Screen, this one with winpeshl.exe
However none of the methods helped me.
Also tried the novo button but still no success.
I had my important projects on my drive.

Solution that worked for me:
Created a bootable USB drive to temporarily install (Try) Elementary OS on it.(You will need another PC to create a bootable USB drive.)
You might need a USB connector mouse. Since the touchpad may not work.
Put in the USB stick. Turn on the laptop.
Press F 11 or F12 . Different laptops have different keys. Search online for boot manager on startup for your model.
Select USB HDD where you have your Elementary OS.
Follow the simple steps.
Select Try instead of Install.
Find your Windows drive.
Browse for your important files and folders, put in another pendrive or connect to your phone (whichever has higher storage).
Take all your important data.
Shutdown the laptop. Remove the pendrive.
Switch on the laptop.
This time you may see dianosing your PC displayed.
If not you should reinstall windows or try any another way if it works for you.
I had got an error message saying something like windows coud not start or something(not sure what exactly).
On the same screen there was an advanced options button. Click it.
Try all the different things out there. You even get access to command prompt. I tried everything nothing worked even there.
Even system restore could not solve my problem.
Reset your PC keeping all your files saved option finally worked for me. It took approximately 3 hours to complete resetting. But it finally came back to normal.
I still dont know what was the issue but i got my laptop working back normal and all my data saved except the unsaved chages when i had before closing the laptop.

Hope it helps !!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom