Windows Vista Install 7 on laptop

colb

I have used Win7 RC on my desktop and happy with it - I now want to install on a laptop which is a Dell with a recovery partition. If I install 7 will I be able to use this restore partition to go back OR am I better making a drive image, formatting and doing a clean install?
Will appreciate any help

Assuming al is normal, there is no problem. Install 7 in the basic partition and the recovery partition will still be there. But, of course, if you choose to use the recovery partition, it will only restore the original OEM (XP?).
But, IMO, I have always, and would always recommend an image rather that using a resroe partition or Windows own restore. The Laptop restore will not, as you are probably aware, restore all your latest files or installations, only what was on the original purchase.

Thanks

Many thanks for the input - I have got to the position I agree with what you say and I can get rid of the recovery partition after I have done an image?

If you have no intention of ever returning to the original computer installation, at the time of purchase, then you can certainly get rid of the other partition.

Just one last point

When I install 7 do I have the option to format and make partitions? I can't remember!:(
Thanks again

Yes. Select custom install and then in the next screen you have an option to format etc...

Back