Windows 7 Install W7 into gpt partition?

joanev

I have recently bought Asus G75VW and tried to install W7 DVD as i usually use to but I could not install W7 because it was a gpt partition= Disk 0 containes 4 partitions: 1=System 200MB, 2= MSR 128MB, 3= gpt 95,4 GB and 4=Data 118,4 GB. Disk 0 is a SSD.
Disk 1 is 750GB so thera are two seperate disks. How can I install W7 on my SSD? This must be the same problem for coming W8.

With Windows 7, you cannot use a GPT formatted drive for a MBR install, and you cannot use a MBR formatted drive for a UEFI install. So, you will have to alter your install or change the drive.

If you want to keep the GPT, and your system has a UEFI bios, use the F8 key (depending on your bios), or go into the bios and set it to boot to the UEFI version of the Windows 7 install DVD. That will install fine on a GPT drive. From the partitions on the SSD, it looks like it was a UEFI install.

If you want to install the MBR version, on the install page after you select a language, you can use Shift+F10 to get a command prompt. From there, you can use Dskpart to clean the drive so Windows 7 will install if you boot to the MBR version of the Install DVD.

Edit: Just in case, I do not think the 32 bit version of the Windows 7 Install DVDs offer a UEFI install.

Last edited:
With Windows 7, you cannot use a GPT formatted drive for a MBR install, and you cannot use a MBR formatted drive for a UEFI install. So, you will have to alter your install or change the drive.

If you want to keep the GPT, and your system has a UEFI bios, use the F8 key (depending on your bios), or go into the bios and set it to boot to the UEFI version of the Windows 7 install DVD. That will install fine on a GPT drive. From the partitions on the SSD, it looks like it was a UEFI install.

If you want to install the MBR version, on the install page after you select a language, you can use Shift+F10 to get a command prompt. From there, you can use Dskpart to clean the drive so Windows 7 will install if you boot to the MBR version of the Install DVD.

Edit: Just in case, I do not think the 32 bit version of the Windows 7 Install DVDs offer a UEFI install.

It is thru that it´s only working with 64bit. The solution was to at "install" with DVD and at advanced mark "delate" all of four partitions on Disk 0. After that create "new" which will be a whole C:. However, as you suggest, it won´t be gpt. It will be MBR. But who cares, it works.

Yours

joanev

hi thank you for this tutorial

can you explain more when i enter to bios there in the boot menu only my hdd and dvd how to set to boot form UEFI ??? shall add new boot then what is the path ????

i try the second option using command and diskpart when type convert to mbr i got error Cd or DVD can not converted while disk selected is my HDD 1 with 689 GB any help

hi thank you for this tutorial

can you explain more when i enter to bios there in the boot menu only my hdd and dvd how to set to boot form UEFI ??? shall add new boot then what is the path ????

i try the second option using command and diskpart when type convert to mbr i got error Cd or DVD can not converted while disk selected is my HDD 1 with 689 GB any help

SOLVED in disk part need do clean first then will be converted to mbr

Back