Windows 7 Installation Problem:CD Wont start

Deathaze

Hey guys, I have already installed Win7 on my Dell and it works perfectly so I told my buddy I'd install it on his Toshiba Satellite notebook as a favor, after partitioning alot of space (like 70gigs) and formatting it to NTFS I threw in the boot cd I used. I restarted the pc and hit F12 to open the boot menu, I then selected CD/DVD and the screen remains black and blank...after a while a flashing underscore appears at the top left and when I try to type it just makes a beep noise.

So wtf is wrong???

(PS its 32-bit seven)

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. ;)

It could be a driver issue.. I know with some Toshiba laptops a SATA driver is needed during the installation... Have you checked with the Toshiba site to see what drivers are available?

So this is a clean install of the 32-bit version of Windows 7 RC (Build 7100)? Have you verified the DVD to make sure it hasn't become corrupt?

Well I just walked my friend into the driver update process through the device manager, but of course it said the driver was up-to-date so I guess Ill have to manually search for it.

And I have used this exact CD to install my version of windows 7 aout a month ago and ever since then It's been in the case and untouched. The installation I have planned is a dual-boot with vista, I have already set aside 70gigs for 7 so I don't see a problem with any space requirements.

Oh and thanks for the welcome ;P

***EDIT***

I have just checked the official Toshiba website and was greeted by a nice sub-heading of "Windows 7 Support" it said they are releasing drivers for the RC so I checked and just my luck they don't have any Win7 drivers for the A210...what am I to do?

Last edited:
Get your hands on a 4GB USB drive and try installing from that, it nice and easy and a lot faster than crappy laptop DVD drives.

For anyone running Vista, you can copy or download the 7 .iso onto the Vista partition.

Then install the free ( unregistered ) version of PowerIso - you can create a virtual dvddrive with that in 1 click - mount the iso to that virtual drive and install from there.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Obviously, point the installer at the other partition you previously created.

I often install that way.

Last edited:
For anyone running Vista, you can copy or download the 7 .iso onto the Vista partition.

Then install the free ( unregistered ) version of PowerIso - you can create a virtual dvddrive with that in 1 click - mount the iso to that virtual drive and install from there.

PowerISO - Create, Edit, Extract, Mount, Compress, Encrypt, Split ISO file, ISO/BIN converter, Virtual Drive, DAA

Obviously, point the installer at the other partition you previously created.

I often install that way.

This seems like my best bet since I dont feel like buying a 4gb jumpdrive just install 7 on my buddys pc, could you explain this process more in-depth. I have power.iso on my current vista partition so I'll install it on my buds pc too bad the iso is 2.34 gigs my jump drive is only 2gb so I guess he'll have to download the whole iso on his pc.

But please explain how to "virtually" run it, thanks alot guys.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Click Mount Image -Browse to the .iso.

You will see you have an extra dvd drive (virtual) rt click it and select Install or Run program.

Last edited:
Ok cool I'll give it a shot, just I set the drive to X: the windows 7 one and I'm good...Thanks alot you've just solved an unsolvable problem xD

Create the 7 partition first and assign it a drive letter ( it will keep that - it will not assign itself C)

Let poweriso set the letter for the virtual drive - do not choose X for any drive letter.

The virtual drive letter is independent of the partition you are installing to - just like the drive letter for your dvd drive is.

When the installation starts, it will look exactly the same as the way you did it.

Select Custom ( not upgrade) and when you get the screen asking where you want to install to, click on the partition you already made for 7 - exactly the same as you did when you installed on your machine from a real dvd drive.

Last edited:
ok ok ill let it do the work, but will it like come up in a different window orrr...

sorry I've never used any kind of virtualization before.

After you click "Install or Run Program", a little window pops up - with the 7 screen saying "Install now".

Click Install Now and then it goes to Windows loading files - just like when you did it from your dvd drive.

It looks exactly the same from then on.

I wasn't sure the first time I did it.

After this, you will never go back to using dvd's.

(Worth burning an .iso to dvd , even if you are not going to use it to install - if it's something you want have a copy for the future)

Last edited:
Have you started to d/l again on your friend's machine - and is it a hassle?

There is a quick easy way to avoid d/ling again, if you have an app that can make a bootable .iso.?

( I know you have PowerIso - the free version is great for for installing - but you need the paid version to create a large .iso )

Last edited:
Well he still hasn't started the download yet, probably going to do it during the weekend or this week since we were busy with exams... I'm sure I'll have no problem getting the pro version of power iso just gotta look it up ^_^

So what should I do then?

EDIT*** Oh yea and thanks for telling me about this virtual stuff, I'll never need to go out and buy a CD again hehe aside from backing up stuff or making portable versions of software

Your 7 dvd won't boot in your pal's machine - but it will probably copy .

You may be able to do it with the free version of PowerIso after all.

If not, use the free Iso Recorder - very small app. when you have installed it - you don't see anything - it is on the Context menu.

Start your friend's machine into Vista. Put your 7 dvd in the drive ( if Autoplay pops up, just close it).

If you use Power Iso :

Rt click the dvd drive >PowerIso>Make Image File - see below

DOT iso , click OK

If you use Iso Recorder:

Rt click dvd drive >Create image from cd - see below

( It says CD but it means dvd also )

In a few minutes, the bootable .iso will be on your friend's machine and you can mount and install.

Last edited:
wow thats very convenient thanks alot for the help bro i'll be sure to rep you for this!

If you ever need any programs just let me know alright ;p

You're welcome.

It should copy fine - as long as there is nothing wrong with your friend's dvd drive, or the dvd.

Sometimes a tiny scratch or bit of dirt or grease can be problematic.

Hope fully that will save downloading it again.

I'll be sure to clean/check it and be sure that the vista drivers are up-to-date, I'll be sure to post back if/when its a success.

Back
Top Bottom