Windows 7 Internet Cannot Connect

mike121777

I have 2 computers, a laptop and a desktop, my laptop is connected and my desktop says it is but wont do anything online. It will do anything but load internet pages. What do I do about this?
It is Windows 7.

copy and paste this
into the URL address bar at the top of the browser on the problem machine and hit enter, if google opens then your issue is with Domain Name Resolution.
Try setting static values for DNS servers in the property of IPv4 in the properties of your network interface card. Try using
and

Open a command prompt
type
ipconfig /release and hit enter
type
ipconfig /renew and hit enter
type
ipconfig /all
copy and paste results in your next post
see attachment

etherner adapter local area connection:

Media state...........................:Media disconected
Connection-specific DNS suffix .:
Description............................: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address....................: 40-61-86-5A-1F-CF
DHCP Enabled........................: Yes
Auto configuration Enabled......:Yes

Well, that sort of says it all. Is that the only Network Interface Card on your computer? Is it wired to the router? Do you have link lights at both ends (network card and switch port on router) indicating a connection?
Media State = media disconnected is not good, examine the wire as well as both ends for any obvious signs of damage or bad crimping on the ends. Do you have another Cat5 cable that you can use?

I may be wrong but usually a notation like
ethernet adapter local area connection
denotes a wired connection, and I think that the GBE denotes a gigabit lan card, so
maybe do another command prompt and type
ipconfig /all and take a look for other ip address scheme information maybe with specific notation indicating a wireless connection my attachment may have been misleading in that I framed the local area connection perhaps wrongly assuming the because we were dealing with a desktop then we were working with a wired rather than wireless connection. Sorry.

wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS suffix..:
Description......................................:artheros 802.11 a/b/g/n dualband wireless network module
Physical address...............................:00-26-82-42-AC-4A
DHCP Enabled..................................: Yes
Auto configuration............................: Yes
Link Locall IPv6 Address.....................: fe80::1173:af03:6e41:d876 12 <prefered>
IPv4 Address....................................: 192.168.1.38 <preffered>
Subnet mask....................................: 255.255.255.0
Lease obtained................................: October-03-10
Lease expires..................................: october-10-10
Default gateway..............................: 192.168.1.1
DHPC Server....................................: 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID...................................: 201336450
DHCPv6 Client DUID.........................: 00-01-00-01-14-22-40-0C-40-61-86-5A-1F-CF

DNS servers....................................: 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over tcpip..........................:Enabled

That looks better see what you can ping
open a command prompt and type
ping 192.168.1.1 hit enter
looking for four replys, and a result of four sent four received lost zero
now type
ping 64.233.169.99
looking for the same thing
if both are successful then
open IE8 and select from the menu
Tools -> Internet Options
then select the Connections tab at the top and then the button near the bottom that says LAN settings
deselect (uncheck) everything you see in there and click ok and ok again close IE8 and reopen it and see if that makes any difference.
If not, go back to tools and internet options and select the advanced tab
click Restore advanced settings and then
click the button that says Reset...
reset everything back to factory defaults and restart IE8 again
Keep us posted.

tried all of that got all 4 pings recieved 4 times and 0 lost ( both times) tried the internet options-> lan settings -> and nothing was checked so i got out of that and went and clicked on advanced settings and clicked reset and closed it and reopened IE8 and still nothing. Should it just be brought to the repair shop?

First try one more time open IE8 browser
at the very top in the URL address bar type
{http://64.233.169.99} without the brackets and hit enter
let us know if you still get the invalid address error.
another thing you may try is a different browser if you haven't already
from the working computer download the installation files for Mozilla Firefox or Opera or Safari, just to see if your issue is strictly IE8

Last edited:
I still get the invalid address error, I tried safari and it says my computer is not connected to the internet ( it still says it is though)

Uninstall any third party firewalls (Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc) temporarily turn off the Windows 7 built in firewall for debugging. Uninstall any third party Antivirus / Internet Security Suites that may have some type of firewall applet as part of their software. You can always reinstall them later if they prove not to be at issue.
Also right click a blank area of the taskbar and choose "Start Task Manager"
at the top of the task manager console select the processes tab
look for something called mdnsresponder.exe
if it is present post back and we'll address that issue.

EDIT: Forgot to mention in task manager, make sure you check the box near the bottom left that says "Show processes from all users"

Last edited:
Also if you would
On the machine that seems to be working fine
open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
examine the information specific to the network adapter that it is using and see if it is similar to the information on the other machine.
especially the default gateway 192.168.1.1 and DNS server address 192.168.1.1

I am having the exact same problem and have tried all the things you have suggested also with no avail.

I have 3 connections currently that do not work, wired LAN connection says connected but no internet access (worked this morning)

wireless adaper (wusb54gv2) shows connected with internet access but as with the OP websites return nothing (also entered all your suggestions)

I also have PDA2net tethered to my sprint htc hero and this works!! but only for about 2 minutes then pda2net crashes (used to work fine)

so, I have 3 strikes against me, and I'm not dumb, I've tried everything... EVERYTHING WORKED FINE THIS MORNING AND 3 OTHER COMPUTERS ON MY NETWORK ARE FINE!!!

very frustrating issue I appreciate the help! I feel your pain OP!!

Uninstall any third party firewalls (Comodo, ZoneAlarm, etc) temporarily turn off the Windows 7 built in firewall for debugging. Uninstall any third party Antivirus / Internet Security Suites that may have some type of firewall applet as part of their software. You can always reinstall them later if they prove not to be at issue.
Also right click a blank area of the taskbar and choose "Start Task Manager"
at the top of the task manager console select the processes tab
look for something called mdnsresponder.exe
if it is present post back and we'll address that issue.

EDIT: Forgot to mention in task manager, make sure you check the box near the bottom left that says "Show processes from all users"

Just did all of this, nothing

Back