Windows 7 Internet Connection Drops Out Randomly/Troubleshooter Crashes PC

cheesy money

Hey guys, I just joined the site. I did a clean install of Win7 on my brand new 1TB HDD that came with my barebones kit from TigerDirect. Most things work fine, but my internet connection seems to drop out randomly (get a yellow notification on taskbar). And whenever I troubleshoot it, the troubleshooting application runs fine for a few seconds, then my computer just crashes and I get the dreaded blue screen of death. Then, upon restarting, there is a 10-minute delay between the BIOS screen showing up and the login screen showing up.

I have no idea what is causing this as it's been happening since I installed it a few weeks ago. Any ideas guys?

Take a gander in the Event Logs,
Run
eventvwr.msc

Look around the time when you lose connectivity, most likely this would be in the System logs. Post anything you see to be relevent here and I will try to figure this out with you.

Drivers are the likely suspect. Probably an irq or some kind of conflict... when your system activates a service that has been dormant, it clashes with the network card. Furthermore, the slow startup is a STRONG indicator that it's waiting on device drivers to time out that aren't loading correctly.

Click "Start" and type and enter "vi" when the event viewer opens read the Administrator logs under custom views and it probably logs the specific problem.

I got my system from Tiger also.. it was a gateway with vista and after i did an upgrade to win 7 there were 32 outdated drivers. There are two driver analysis/update progams that i have found to work well under Win 7... Driver Genius and Driver Checker.... I suspect they will be doing a lot of business when the masses move to 7. tip: phazeddl

There is also a problem with routers and Win 7. This could be causing your problem.

I have had to reset my router a couple times when I couldn't get connected at bootup.

There are discussions on other message boards about this problem and google finds several references to it.

Im pretty sure that the router is not the problem. DHCP works the same, DNS works the same, NAT works the same, these have all been RFCd and standardized. It is possible that your NIC drivers are to blame, but then again, we really don't know unless we see some logs.

If your router is to blame, then the router is most likely defective and would need to be replaced by the vendor, but this would not cause a BSOD unless it is sending unwanted packets which would probably be caused by a compromised router (someone has access to it and is trying to execute code on your system), or other hardware fault.

Win 7 vs. routers

Im pretty sure that the router is not the problem. DHCP works the same, DNS works the same, NAT works the same, these have all been RFCd and standardized. It is possible that your NIC drivers are to blame, but then again, we really don't know unless we see some logs.

If your router is to blame, then the router is most likely defective and would need to be replaced by the vendor, but this would not cause a BSOD unless it is sending unwanted packets which would probably be caused by a compromised router (someone has access to it and is trying to execute code on your system), or other hardware fault.

Perhaps I am confused and we are discussing two separate issues.

windows 7 router - Google Search

Here is a discussion ->> Link Removed - Invalid URL

Drivers are the likely suspect. Probably an irq or some kind of conflict... when your system activates a service that has been dormant, it clashes with the network card. Furthermore, the slow startup is a STRONG indicator that it's waiting on device drivers to time out that aren't loading correctly.

Click "Start" and type and enter "vi" when the event viewer opens read the Administrator logs under custom views and it probably logs the specific problem.

I got my system from Tiger also.. it was a gateway with vista and after i did an upgrade to win 7 there were 32 outdated drivers. There are two driver analysis/update progams that i have found to work well under Win 7... Driver Genius and Driver Checker.... I suspect they will be doing a lot of business when the masses move to 7. tip: phazeddl
I checked out driver genius and that seemed to work! At least for the internet connection part of my problem. I've yet to restart my computer since to check if it solved the 10-minute boot delay though. I'll report back with those results soon.

Thanks tblount!

Update: Still no luck with the 10-minute delay booting into Windows. I'm gonna try repairing the installation sometime this weekend when I have time, hopefully that will do the trick!

In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas, I'd be willing to try them out!

Back
Top Bottom