Windows 8 Internet Explorer 10 is gone from program list

vinoman

I've recently installed Start Menu 8 to create a win 7 menu and bypass the tiles, but now I don't see IE 10 listed anywhere. Where could it go? I didn't think you could get rid of IE10. I use Chrome as my default browser, but I would like to open IE 10 if needed.

How do I get IE 10 back? Reinstall?

Check the programs list from the control panel. I'm on my laptop w/windows 7 and I will check my desktop with windows 8 that has start8 on it and see if has it listed. There might be some minor differences with the different types of the classic shell apps that they different vendors offer.

Ok...just checked my desktop...it's has it list in the programs list using the start button and then clicking more programs. It's listed at the top with the icons. It also might have something to do with your default browser setting. Try switching IE as default and see if it doesn't show up. Set it as default and then reboot.

Just plugged in Win 8 again and did what you said about setting IE as default and rebooting. Nothing happens.

I guess I'll live without IE 10. Can't you even reinstall it?

or I'll go back to Chrome browser. It's surprising that MS would let this happen.

Hi

Go to control panel, Uninstall a Program, Turn Windows Features on and Off, and make sure the Internet Explorer box is checked if it isn't check it and click OK.

Windows will install it.

If it is checked, uncheck it and say OK.

Reboot and go back and recheck the box, Windows will reinstall IE and give you a new icon.

Mike

I rebooted after uninstalling start menu 8 and IE 10 its still gone. I can't even find a way to reinstall it.

Win 8 is rather confusing. Maybe that's why I've been using Ubuntu lately. it's easier and better organized. I hope Win 8.1 improves things.

Let me know if there is a way to fix this problem. Thanks.

Did you try Mike's suggestion? As IE 10 is an integral part of Windows 8, it actually can't be removed so it being 'uninstalled' is impossible. Press Win+R to open the run dialog and type "iexplore" (no R on the end!). I guarantee it will open. i'm not familiar with any of these start screen replacement programs but if you create a new shortcut anywhere and point it to c:\windows\system32\iexplore.exe, you can access it.

OK, I'll give that a try. I didn't think IE 10 could be gone... just hidden and the Start Menu 8 probably caused it. I uninstalled it. Thanks.

Thanks, it did open IE10. But when trying to create a shortcut, It says it can't find location.

"The file C:\windows\system32\iexplore.exe cannot be found".

I pinned it to the taskbar for now. How would I add it to the tile desktop?

I think there's always an possibility to download IE and install on your computer.. See on Microsoft download center..

Just plugged in Win 8 again and did what you said about setting IE as default and rebooting. Nothing happens.

I guess I'll live without IE 10. Can't you even reinstall it?

or I'll go back to Chrome browser. It's surprising that MS would let this happen.

I corrected the file location for him and as I already mentioned Internet Explorer can not be removed from Windows 8, so your link is useless. Yes it can be turned off, but not removed as its actually vital to the operation of Windows.

Back