Windows 7 Internet security settings prevents one or more files from being opened

ladynat999

My system has suddenly started giving me a 'Windows Security - These Files cannot be opened - Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.' Message when I tried to start 'The Sims 3' game. I have played this before, many times. I also got the msg when trying to install Antivir Antivirus. I couldnt install it. I Have changed the internet security settings and still nothing. I have run virus/spyware checks and they are clean.
I don't know what to do - there is obviously something wrong.
I am running Windows 7, 64bit version.

[Window Title]
Windows Security

[Main Instruction]
These files can't be opened

[Content]
Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.

[Expanded Information]
C:\Users\LADYNA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\RarSFX0\presetup.exe

[^] Hide details [Close]

[Footer]
Why can't these files be opened?

Well, I have found the problem!

The latest Definitions update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (definition 1.93.284.0)!!!

I have restored my system to before this update and the problem is solved.
I think it is disgusting that Microsoft have released an update that knackers up your system. BOO MICROSOFT!!!

Alternate Solution for same error message.

Background

Microsoft Downloads - in my case those from the Microsoft Update Catalog,

but it has also been reported those from Web Update,

Microsoft Downloads Create file / path names in Windows 7 64 bit greater than the maximum allowed within Windows 7 64bit. Note you cannot create over length path names manually in Windows 7.

The maximum is 260 characters including 3 character drive designation plus 1 character <null> terminating character.

The maximum is 256 not counting the drive designator ( i.e. C:\ ) and also not including the <null> terminating character at the end. So the entire directory path plus the file name should be less than or equal to 256 characters. Excluding the three ( 3) character drive designator "C:\" from the 256.

In my case the path downloaded from Microsoft by Microsoft software was greater than 270 bytes in several cases.

The result was the same error.

These files can't be opened.

Your Internet Security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.
Either of the following solutions worked:
Copy the file to a much shorter directory.
or

Rename the file in place so that the entire path, including the file name, is less than 256 characters.
Obviously in these cases the error message is misleading.

It appears this may be a default error message that pops up when the real error is not identified.

I faced the problem and all the solution in the net do not help including remove and reinstall the internet explorer 9. Finally, solve by changing the setting of the internet explorer by - internet option - advanced - reset internet explorer setting. Instantly by magic back to original

Back