Windows 7 ip config not valid, can't connect to the internet

Mayumi

My computer is running on Window 7 and is no longer recognized in my network. It's under unidentified network, and i was using an ethernet wire. Please give me some advice or tips to fix this problem. This occurrence happened when I was on an mmorpg. The screen seemed to freeze, so i restarted the pc. Then i could no longer reconnect to the internet. My other pc and laptop can still connect though.
Here's more info:

saveit.png

window7.png

Last edited:
Hi.

Reset the internet protocol and winsock. Here's how.

Open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste each line one at a time, hitting enter after each, to it.

Reboot when done and test the connection.

Code:
netsh winsock reset
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Hi.

Reset the internet protocol and winsock. Here's how.

Open an elevated command prompt. Copy and paste each line one at a time, hitting enter after each, to it.

Reboot when done and test the connection.

Code:
netsh winsock reset
Code:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Thanks for the advice, but my computer is still not connecting to my private network. I forgot to add that when i put ipconfig/release there is an error i cannot release or renew my ip address for the pc.

You're welcome.

Three things:

1) It could be your 3rd party firewall interfering if you have one installed. Uninstall it to test.

2) Make sure the router is not blocking the mac address (physical address) of the adapter. Use another pc with access to look at router settings that it is not specifically blocked - or - that if there is a whitelist, that it is included.

3) You can set a static ip address if all else fails, in Windows, for the network adapter. If you need help with this option, please let us know. Also, please tell us if you have mdnsresponder.exe in the task manager. This is important.

All excellent advice from TorrentG so far please make sure to follow it carefully, especially the mdnsresponder part, what a pain that is.
The only other thing I might add, since it was working and then it wasn't
Open device manager, expand network adapters, select then right click the problem adapter, choose properties, select the driver tab at the top, and see if you have the option to roll back the driver, if it seems to be greyed out then it wasn't a driver update that killed it. But it's worth checking just in case.

Very true about the driver! I've forgotten about that. It actually happened on a machine once to me long ago, where Windows Update installed a non-working driver. It was way back then that I learned never to allow any drivers for anything from Windows Update and always to get them on device manufacturer's sites.

Sorry to bump this post, but I'm having similar issues.

My PC started seriously misbehaving a couple of days ago. Simptons now include:

Suddenly unable to connect the the internet via ethernet to my router.
Unable to disable or uninstall network adapter (times out eventually)
When shutting down the PC, it takes on average 30 minutes or so.

The PC's ethernet adapter shows the default MS IP address of 169.x.x.x, despite my router showing that it's allocated 192.168.0.5 to the adapter.

Help! I've searched everywhere for a solution to this issue but don't appear to be getting anywhere.

I've just rebooted for the umpteenth time and the ethernet card is now showing as disconnected. But I can clearly see a connection on the DSL router's ethernet port. :(

Last edited:
The first thing you might try, since it seems that you are not getting proper IP addressing information from the router, is to manually assign static values for IPv4 in the properties of your "local area connection", network adapter. If you need help with this please post back, but you should be able to obtain an idea as to what they should be by perhaps examinining another computer on the same network and then make sure that the actual IP is one off and unique. An example might be something like;
192.168.0.222 (ip address)
255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
192.168.0.1 (default gateway, assuming that is the address of your router)
192.168.0.1 (dns server, assuming that is the address of your router)(you may consider altering that to reflect public dns server addresses like 8.8.8.8 preferred and 8.8.4.4 alternate)
Once you have done this see if you can ping the router's inside edge (192.168.0.1) and then see if you can ping google at 64.233.169.99.

Hi Trouble,

Thanks for the quick response!

I've tried assigning a static (different to what the router says the PC has been assigned) but still no joy. I can ping the local host, but nothing else on the LAN. Wireless connectivity is working OK.

I'd have put it down to a faulty nic, due to the fact that I can't disable or uninstall it in device manager, but there are other strange anomalies going on such as attached usb storage devices suddenly disappearing - and the PC randomly booting to a black screen with cursor.

I may try a nic controller driver update to see if this helps, but I'm having to bear in mind that the machine is a Packard Bell I-Power and finding driver support for these is a bit of a nightmare. :mad:

The ethernet card is an NVIDIA nForce networking controller if this helps!

Rgds

Back
Top Bottom