Windows 7 irritating Taskbar issue

penguinking

Hey I've been searching the net for a solution to a minor issue thats bugging me alot and couldn't find any, I seek help! :p

The problem is following. When I click an icon on the taskbar two things normaly happens:

1. If I don't have the program running, say mozilla firefox, it will start.
2. If I have two or more windows up of the same program a smaller window will hover up above the icon showing thumbnails of all the open windows.

Now this stopped working for me, for example, I click the mozilla icon and the small window with the thumbnails pops up for like half a second, then closes again. I cant access any of the mozilla windows, and this goes for all applications that can have 2 or more instances running - msn messenger with many conversations for example.

Its really annoying, and I didnt have this problem yesterday. I cannot think of anything that would make it happen, I havnt installed anything new and I havnt updated any drivers or done any changes. Restarting the computer doesnt work.

The only way for me to access a program now is to hold the mouse over the icon and wait until the window pops up with the thumbnails, and then hope it stays so I can access one of the windows. Sometimes it can take a few minutes.. Clicking the icon just makes it 'collapse' again.

Please I need help :)

*edit*

I just found out I cant alt + tab between programs either. It somehow resets every second and interupts the browsing.. I am starting to think I have a virus.

Last edited:
Thank you very much tblount. All I had to do after switching between the two settings was to reboot and now everything works fine!

cheers!

I;m not sure if this haS ben posted before

Icon went missing in Windows 7? Here's a Fix

After installing the latest and greatest Mozilla Firefox 3.5 in Windows 7 (RC Build 7100 32-bit) I noticed that after a while the icon went missing. Firefox was still working correctly, and when I checked the icon properties, and the icon was still present. But for some strange reason it wouldn’t show up in on my Desktop, my Start Menu, or my Taskbar, I would just see a broken icon.

The resolution? Rebuilding the Windows 7 Icon Cache.

Follow these directions:

1. Close all folder windows that are currently open.
2. Launch Task Manager using the CTRL+SHIFT+ESC key sequence, or by running taskmgr.exe
3. In the Process tab, right-click on the Explorer.exe process and select End Process
4. Click the End process button when asked for confirmation.
5. From the File menu of Task Manager, select New Task (Run…)
6. Type CMD.EXE, and click OK
7. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands one by one and press ENTER after each command:

CD /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
DEL IconCache.db /a
EXIT
8. In Task Manager, click File, select New Task (Run…)
9. Type EXPLORER.EXE, and click OK.

Your icons should be as good as new!

Back
Top Bottom