Windows 7 Is there any way to get rid of the "ø" graphic when dragging and dropping?

poof

I tried changing it under cursors to something else but its still the same. edit: i mean the large black one, not the little red one that appears sometimes.

Last edited:
You cant take screenshots of cursors. Go into control panel and try dragging one of the icons, the cursor becomes a black crossed circle. I want that to be something else.

Hi Proof

It means you cannot drop it in that location when it is the black circle. It would be seen very rarely used unless you are trying to do something you can't.

Basher

I suspect you need to modify or change the icon/cursor in a system file. I've had a look around but so far no joy in finding it.

I found the cursor in a winsxs folder. I changed the permissions and edited it to be something else and it still read the same. This is really absurd that i cant change a cursor, If i wanted to have no control over my computer i would have bought a mac.

Which winsxs folder? Those are "back ups" to the system files. If you can find the system file that the winsxs folder belongs to..... Or even search a name.

Let us know!

oh, i searched C: for .cur and it gave me a winsxs folder with a long hash attached to it. Searched again with system folders visible and found the cursors folder in windows/. Swapped lnodrop, no_i, no_il, no_im, no_l, no_m, no_r, no_rl, no_rm, for empty ones and renamed, and its still there! That doesnt make any sense. Whats the point of cursor files if windows doesnt respect them?

Last edited:
Hi

I don't want to belabor the obvious but why does it matter?
You can't drag the icons in control panel, so there is no reason to try.

So there is no reason to ever see the cursor to start with.
So who cares what it looks like.

To actually change it i'm pretty sure that you would have to use a program like Resource Hacker to redirect the directions to the icon of your choice as I did with my startup sound, but I have no idea where the instruction is located in the registry.

But if you really want to do it then I'd research that.
If you can find out where the instruction is listed you can change it using Resource Hacker.

Create a restore point first!!!

Mike

Last edited:
Hi

I don't want to belabor the obvious but why does it matter?
You can't drag the icons in control panel, so there is no reason to try.

So there is no reason to ever see the cursor to start with.
So who cares what it looks like.

To actually change it i'm pretty sure that you would have to use a program like Resource Hacker to redirect the directions to the icon of your choice as I did with my startup sound, but I have no idea where the instruction is located in the registry.

But if you really want to do it then I'd research that.
If you can find out where the instruction is listed you can change it using Resource Hacker.

Create a restore point first!!!

Mike
To change cursors\pointers go to mouse CP in the control panel and select pointers
use the scheme dropdown to use another scheme.
The customize window will show what each cursor looks like.

Hi Frank

That doesn't effect the "Cant Do That icon" in Control Panel.
I tried, no matter what you change it to the small black one stays in Control Panel.
It must be hard wired in someplace.

Mike

Back