Windows 7 Is this a "ease of access" problem of something else? (capslock issue)

teamtrinity

Ok...so originally, I was having all sorts of odd problems with the capslock. Lowercase letters when capslock was on, upper case when capslock was off, symbols instead of numbers regardless of capslock of shift key, etc. I disabled every single keyboard related "ease of access" setting (sticky keys, filter keys, etc).

Now...almost everything seems to be normal EXCEPT:
1) the left shift key does nothing
2) when typing in passwords for my account/profile to login to the machine, capslock MUST be on even if the password is typed in lowercase when creating the account.

any ideas how to fix this?

thanks!

Could you possibly be having a keyboard mechanical problem? Have you turned it over and tapped it lightly to see if anything is interfering with the key functions?

Have you tried another keyboard?

It's a laptop. I tried removing the left shift key...depressed the little rubber thing underneath it a few times...blew a bit of air around it.

I did try plugging in a usb keyboard into the laptop. The left shift on the usb keyboard works. BUT...it doesn't fix the odd issue where i MUST login to the account with the capslock key on.

It does sound like you have a stuck shift key, or something else it causing it to show that way. I assume the right shift key works normally?

Are there any symbols, especially if in a different color, on the left shift key.

If you go to control panel, does the keyboard show up normally?

Do you have a light to indicate whether the Caps Lock in on or off?

Last edited:
It does sound like you have a stuck shift key, or something else it causing it to show that way. I assume the right shift key works normally?

Are there any symbols, especially if in a different color, on the left shift key.

If you go to control panel, does the keyboard show up normally?

Do you have a light to indicate whether the Caps Lock in on or off?

right shift key works perfectly normally. no symbols of any kind on the left shift key at all...just a normal, single function key. keyboard shows up normally in control panel. i do have a light that indicates caps lock. and it doesn't matter if it's on or off...the left shift key does nothing.

do you have any idea why my caps lock must be on to login to the computer?

Back