Windows 7 Just a black screen with arrow after Win7 64bit install

Brew

TIA for any help, I've searched the forum for a solution as I've seen others have had a similar problem. I think I've tried every solution suggested...so I thought I'd start a new thread perhaps to find my solution...so here is my saga:

I upgraded from Vista64 to Windows7 64bit final (not a clean install, I know its not the preferred, however, its a problem to do a clean ) on an HP M9300T desktop.

Everything worked fine, until the final restart. System will start, I get the colored thingees, I get the Welcome screen, when it should go to my desktop, I get only a black screen with the arrow in the middle. Even if I boot into safe mode, I still only get the black screen...

I've tried reinstalling x4....
I can hit CRTL+ALT+DEL and get to the task manager, and I can run task, programs go on-line etc.

Ran the Nvidia control applet, the monitor is set to native resolution @ 59hz. Don't know if that is causing a problem, I've changed it but it doesn't seem to stay set.

Other than the DVI output I've tried VGA and HDMI outputs to several different screens from the GS 9800 video card, no change.

I even browsed to the Nvidia site and installed their latest Windows 7 64bit WHQL drivers. I've disconnected everything except the keyboard, monitor and mouse, I've pulled every card out of it except the video card, no change??

HELP!

Hmm...drat!
Ok try this after booting up:

1. Press CTL ALT DELete and get the Task Manager to show up.
2. Go to Processes Tab
3. RIGHT click on "explorer.exe"
4. Select "End Process"
5. Left click on File on the menu bar
6. Select "New Task"
7. type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter

Hmm...drat!
Ok try this after booting up:

1. Press CTL ALT DELete and get the Task Manager to show up.
2. Go to Processes Tab
3. RIGHT click on "explorer.exe"
4. Select "End Process"
5. Left click on File on the menu bar
6. Select "New Task"
7. type "explorer" in the window that appears and press enter

Thanks for the reply...

Problem is and always has been there is no EXPLORER! in the processes tab. :confused:

And I when I try to start the task, I get an error box, that says:

"Windows cannot find "C:\windows\explorer.exe" Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again."

It does it even if I browse to the actual file I get the same error???
Thanks again,
HELP!

Tim why can't you do a clean install again? As I'm pretty sure this is where your problem lies... When I was googling around for answers, one of the fixes was to perform a clean install but as you said it was difficult to do I held off from mentioning it.

Thanks for the reply.

It was primarily because it would be a major hassle to reinstalled some of the software on the system.

I went ahead and started a boot to windows7 disc and a custom install. Which I suppose isn't really a "clean install" as in format the entire HD and install. (Actually, at the moment, I'm not certain what I can boot up with to format the primary drive? I thought there would be an option via the "custom install"?)

It is completing installation as I type. I'll post back as soon as I have some idea if this worked...

Thanks again.

IT WORKED!:D

However, the problem now is that I'd not prepared for the loss of all my data, OUTLOOK contacts, etc.

So it looks like I'll need to restore an Acronis Trueimage from a day ago or so, and then back-up that stuff, then run this again.
Question...wouldn't it be better to format the primary drive before installing Windows7? Otherwise you're left with a bunch of garbage directory with programs in them that do not work? Or can I reinstall into the old directories and preserve the data?

Thanks so much for all the help!

Great! I'm really pleased it worked out for you...:D
As for the format, yes your correct it's always better to do a 'clean' install.. At least you had the forsight to create those back ups. I'd do what you have suggested above.. Then back up what you can and then reformat. At least now you know it works...:)

Back