tcables

I have Windows 7 64bit, a Belkin router, and a Wifi usb card.

I have a Windows Xp computer networked and shared on the router.

I get my internet from the Wifi usb card.

I would like to use the internet off the wifi card, but also still connect to my network and get files from the XP computer.

(I would like to have the connections separate. One for Internet over Wifi. Lan for sharing files over home network.)

I have the two connections working just fine. and i can get internet...
But...

The LAN is a "public network" and I cant change it to a home network.
and i cant see the Xp computer or its files.

I would be grateful for any help.

Last edited:
Solution
To resolve the issue with your LAN connection showing as a "public network" preventing you from accessing the XP computer and its files, you can try the following steps:
### Set the LAN Connection as a Private Network:
1. Change Network Location to Private:
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the "Public Network" link next to the network name.
- Choose "Home network" or "Work network" when prompted.

2. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing:
- In Network and Sharing Center, ensure that network discovery and file sharing are turned on.
- You can find these settings in the "Change advanced sharing settings" option.

### Adjust Firewall and Sharing Settings:
1. Configure...
To resolve the issue with your LAN connection showing as a "public network" preventing you from accessing the XP computer and its files, you can try the following steps:
### Set the LAN Connection as a Private Network:
1. Change Network Location to Private:
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on the "Public Network" link next to the network name.
- Choose "Home network" or "Work network" when prompted.

2. Check Network Discovery and File Sharing:
- In Network and Sharing Center, ensure that network discovery and file sharing are turned on.
- You can find these settings in the "Change advanced sharing settings" option.

### Adjust Firewall and Sharing Settings:
1. Configure Windows Firewall:
- Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is allowed through the Windows Firewall.
- Go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall > Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall.

2. Enable File and Printer Sharing:
- In Network and Sharing Center, under Change advanced sharing settings, make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

### Check Workgroup Settings:
1. Ensure Workgroup is the Same:
- Confirm that both your Windows 7 and XP computers are in the same workgroup.
- You can check and change the workgroup on your XP computer in System Properties > Computer Name tab.

### Additional Tips:
  • Restart Devices: Restart your Windows 7 computer, XP computer, Belkin router, and WiFi USB card after making these changes.
  • Network Reset: In Windows 7, you can try resetting the network settings using the "Troubleshoot network problems" option in the Network and Sharing Center.
By following these steps, you should be able to set up your network so that you can access files on the XP computer while maintaining a separate connection for the internet through your WiFi USB card.

Solution
Back