Windows 7 Laptop 2nd HD install E: drive (System Reserved) ?

AreaMan

My laptop hard drive failed and the local repair shop couldn’t salvage it so I had them install a 120GB SSD. Everything worked great. Thought I could DIY and install a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] 1TB HD to hold all my media files, keeping SSD for system files and favorite programs. I got it up and running but not configured correctly. Instead of [C: drive 120GB and E: 1TB] I have [C: 111GB and E: (System Reserved) 99.9MB]. How do I change this? I have not done partitions before but will try if it is pretty straightforward. My objective is to not load up the SSD with files. Cheers!
Computer Management.jpgMy Computer.jpg

If you see in your screenshots, you have Disk 0 unallocated, which basically means it hasn't been partitioned for use yet.
You should be able to right click on that unallocated disk space and select "Create partition". I'm not totally familar with the Windows disk management, but EaseUS offers a more user friendly partition manager: Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - CNET Download.com

They have an easy to follow guide on creating a new partition: Create Partitions on MBR & GPT disk in Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/7 with EaseUS Partition Master.

Hope this helps.

Back