Windows 7 Laptop can't connect to WHS when restoring

ericwish1

I have a Windows Home Server that, up until now, I was under the impression that it worked fine. I say this because I have a desktop and laptop backed up on it and I have previously (successfully) restored my desktop. But I just tried restoring my laptop and I get an error that my laptop needs to be connected to the network and to make sure that my server is on (as if I didn't know that already). This error comes up after the driver install screen. I proceeded to follow the instructions for installing drivers and was able to get the networking drivers installed on my laptop and I still got the same error. I also tried hooking up and Ethernet cable from my router directly to my laptop and that still didn't do it. So if anyone knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Can't tell from your post as to what your status/environment actually is. Are you trying to do this through a PXE boot environment or are you using some type of third party imaging program like Acronis True Image, Ghost or Windows startup repair. Can you confirm that you actually do have a network connection by pinging the server that holds the backup files / image. Can you browse or UNC to the file/folder location, what is producing the error and is there any information on the WHS (event logs) that might give you a clue as to what the problem might be when you try to attach to it.

I am not doing anything out of the ordinary. Both of my computers run Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. Other than restoring, the laptop was easily able to connect to my Windows Home Server. The error happens when I am using the restore CD. You get to the driver install screen and I used the drivers from the folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" to install the necessary networking drivers. Then the next screen when it is trying to find my server it says that network connection is necessary as well as the WHS being on.

Let me know if there is any other information you need.

Back
Top Bottom