Windows 7 Laptop Charger won't work on another laptop

GeneralHiningII

Fantastic Member
I've got two laptops - A Dell Vostro 3330 (something like that) and a HP Elitebook 8440p.

I've only got one charger - the one with the Dell Laptop. This gives 19.5V (DC) with 4.62A on the 12V rails.

The HP Elitebook can use either: 18.5V;3.5A//19V;4.74A//19.5V;3.33A

Does this mean I can use the Dell charger with the HP laptop?

Anything drawing not more than the 4.62A rating of the charger should not cause a problem for the charger.

Are you certain that the connectors are identical dimensions and the same polarity (the latter could be dangerous if they are different).

Does this mean I can use the Dell charger with the HP laptop?

No....each vendor uses propriety connections for the AC adapter. There are some after market AC adapters that have exchangeable connections (ends), which might work for you. I would only recommend using what the vendor provides.

Future reference, you should never use a charger from one notebook on another notebook - especially from different makers. Current is not really the problem, it is the voltages that mater. And while +18.5V is very close to +19.5V, there is 38 volts "difference in potential between -19.5V and +18.5V. Since there is no industry standard for notebook power, power connections, or polarity of the connections.

I personally think you were lucky you did not fry a power supply, or the internal regulator/charging circuits of the notebook (or notebooks). I too recommend using OEM supplied or recommended replacements - or at least seek the advice of a knowledgeable, qualified technician first.

This gives 19.5V (DC) with 4.62A on the 12V rails.
Huh? That makes no sense! There are no 12V rails on the 19.5VDC output of a notebook power block!

Future reference, you should never use a charger from one notebook on another notebook - especially from different makers. Current is not really the problem, it is the voltages that mater. And while +18.5V is very close to +19.5V, there is 38 volts "difference in potential between -19.5V and +18.5V. Since there is no industry standard for notebook power, power connections, or polarity of the connections.

I personally think you were lucky you did not fry a power supply, or the internal regulator/charging circuits of the notebook (or notebooks). I too recommend using OEM supplied or recommended replacements - or at least seek the advice of a knowledgeable, qualified technician first.

Huh? That makes no sense! There are no 12V rails on the 19.5VDC output of a notebook power block!

Haha, yes I realize now how lucky I am (got caught by the guy who used the other notebook - he's better at this than I am).

Also used to writing on a computer's PSU, so I automatically thought of 12V.

Go buy a lottery ticket and send me your email address so I can tell you where to send 1/2 the winnings! ;)

Back