Windows 7 laptop keeps turning monitor off after a few minutes of not being used...

GoTTi

yea this sounds like a common "change your power settings" issue, but i have all the settings for plugged in and battery mode to NEVER do anything...and for some reason, recently, the past 2 days or so, the monitor keeps turning off on this laptop when im not using it after a few minutes..

am i missing a setting somewhere i should be looking at?

thanks

Did you try Control Paneel > Personalize > Screen Saver > Change power settings > Advanced > Screen ?

Are you using any 3rd party software that turns off your monitor every 2 minutes ?

I'd check your advanced power settings as cybercore suggests.. If they are all fine and you've not altered anything yourself I'd run a security scan for malware and viruses..

Check for overheating, particularly of the graphics and CPU. Have you looked at the underside to se if the vents are free of dirt? You can detach the panel, usuall a large one secured by some very small screws, and look at the fan(s) inside. They could have accumualted a load of rubbish. You can manually clean the fan and vents with a small paint brush and cloth. Otherwise, get hold of a can of compressed air from the computer shop and use that. If you do use the latter method, remember to secure the fan with a matchstick or similiar, as the force of the air can damage the plastic bearings. It is also possible, if you dare, to remove the copper tubes you see under there, and check if you need to renew the cooling on the cpu or Graphics chip. It is easier than it looks, --but your decision!

i dont think it would be a overheating issue. usually on my laptop, i have heard before when i had it sitting on my bed, the laptop would let out a alarm sound letting me know the cpu or a hardware component was getting hot.

i have a targus cooler under my laptop @ all times that i clean out with a air can.

this dimming and monitor turn off thing is consistant, and only happening when there is no activity on the laptop after 5 minutes it looks like...it has to be a setting with something i am missing

With cybercores suggestion, what was the setting under "display" The correct path would be "Control Panel (or right clcik the screen - Personalization - Screen Saver - Change power settings - (now select your "plan" Change plan settings) - In the window that follows, do you have a nil entry for the display. If you have to change it in that window, you must then save of course.

yea this sounds like a common "change your power settings" issue, but i have all the settings for plugged in and battery mode to NEVER do anything...and for some reason, recently, the past 2 days or so, the monitor keeps turning off on this laptop when im not using it after a few minutes..

am i missing a setting somewhere i should be looking at?

thanks

Just out of interest is your system bios the latest version?

Back