Windows 7 Laptop keeps waking up from Sleep on its own when on battery!

Windows7Fan362

Hi. I'm somewhat familiar, with this site. I have been getting this problem a lot, lately.

My laptop just wakes up from Sleep, while on battery. It's soooo annoying! I have this info from a CMD command. Maybe, it's relevant?

Info:

Command I entered on Command Prompt: PowerCFG -LastWake .

Result:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: ACPI\PNP0C0E\2&daba3ff&1
Friendly Name:
Description: ACPI Sleep Button
Manufacturer: (Standard system devices)

Is this an attacker doing this? Or, is there an easy tweak that I can use, to have finally some peace of mind, on this?

I appreciate your time. Thanks, in advance.

Many laptops have the option of not being able to wake up while on battery. I suppose you have already set that and it may be controlled by some task set to happen? I believe Windows Update is one that asks about waking while on battery. Others might be some scan or other maintenance event. If you have used Windows Media Center, it likes to do updates also. Knowing what time the system wakes up might be helpful in tracking down what might be causing the wake.

The message states the Sleep Button is responsible for the wake event. Not sure why it would be singled out, but perhaps something is using it or that process to wake the system. There is a place in the Advanced Power Plan settings to set what the sleep button does. You could try changing that for testing.

Hopefully we won't have to get into an attacker situation, but there is always such a possibility.

Many laptops have the option of not being able to wake up while on battery. I suppose you have already set that and it may be controlled by some task set to happen? I believe Windows Update is one that asks about waking while on battery. Others might be some scan or other maintenance event. If you have used Windows Media Center, it likes to do updates also. Knowing what time the system wakes up might be helpful in tracking down what might be causing the wake.

The message states the Sleep Button is responsible for the wake event. Not sure why it would be singled out, but perhaps something is using it or that process to wake the system. There is a place in the Advanced Power Plan settings to set what the sleep button does. You could try changing that for testing.

Hopefully, we won't have to get into an attacker situation, but there is always such a possibility.

True. Uh, it's still doing it. I tried to do the Advanced Power Plan thing. It still won't work.
Why is it doing this? It's just so stupid, when it does that! It drains the battery so much, eh? And, it kind of saddens me, as I really hate it when it just wakes from Sleep Mode, without my telling it to. Like, it could overheat big time, on a bus, and it could potentially set my school bag on fire. Imagine? I'm just so angry that it's still doing that.
Is there a known Malware program that does the "Wake up the laptop on its own" thing? I sure hope there isn't. But, if there is, yikes. I just hope there's a remover for it?
I appreciate your time, eh.

You are still showing the same response from the Lastwake command?

I am not looking at a laptop, but in device manager (devmgmt.msc), under system devices, there is an ACPI Power Button. Mine does not show any power management tab, but your might, especially if it says Sleep button. Or you may have a special button you have set to put the unit to sleep that might have some settings. Hopefully another powercfg -lastwake will provide more clues.

When it wakes up, does it go back to sleep?

If you have not, you may think about reloading your ACPI drivers. And you have run a virus check?

Have you tried reassigning the action of the power button? Or if you have a separate "sleep" button, maybe change it?

Perhaps disabling your wireless for testing..

I don't suppose there is any chance the button itself is causing the problem, or somehow it is being activated. If you put the system to sleep with the lid up, does it make a difference? Maybe do something as strange as leaving it upside down when you put it to sleep with the lid closed? Just trying to think about anything that might be related.

If you look at the Event Viewer, are the times it wakes up the same or completely random? If you can't find anything in Event Viewer, perhaps copy the WindowsUpdate.log from the \Windows folder to your desktop and check the times on it to see if any operations are indicated that might show a wake time.

I have seen some posts about this situation that date back to 2009. Not many but the problem has happened before, just no solutions, as far as I can tell.

Just something I've noticed with these sorts of issues both personally and when helping others.
Check your advanced power settings and scroll down to "Multimedia settings" and look at the setting for "When sharing media". Make sure it is set to "Allow the computer to sleep".
Just something I've noticed from time to time.
Regards
Randy

Have you taken a look in the Device manager - Network Adapters. Right click your adapter - Properties, and go to the "Power management" tab. Make sure you have the second option UNticked (Allow this device..etc). Possible your internet connection is waking the computer.
fwiw. I did some time ago, have this happening on a quite old Acer. In the end, it turned out to be my TV remote which was the cause of the problem.

Back