Latest Microsoft patches cause black screen of death

Microsoft denies black screen of death Link Removed due to 404 Error Link Removed due to 404 Error Written by Link Removed due to 404 Error Wednesday, 02 December 2009 09:09
microsoft.gif

It does not exist

Microsoft claims that reports that its recently security updates create a “black screen of death” have been greatly exaggerated.

British software security firm Prevx claimed last week that changes to Microsoft's operating system's registry were the most likely cause of the error. Initially both believed it was a recent patch issued by Microsoft. Now it seems that this was not the cause.

The problem was widely reported after a small number of users were presented with a completely black screen after logging on. A spokesman for Microsoft said that reports claimed that its November security updates made changes to permissions in the registry that are resulting in system issues for some customers.

However the updates did not do that and could not have caused the behaviour described in the reports. So far Microsoft is not seeing this as a big issue and Prevx has apologised to Microsoft for the “inconvenience” caused by its original blog posting.

Apparently the black screen could be caused by malware or other programs and urged Windows 7 users to continue updating the operating system and security software.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

THE BRITISH INSECURITY FIRM that claimed Microsoft's last security patch created a 'black screen of death' has said sorry for stuffing it up.
Prevx charged last week that the security patch made changes to Microsoft operating systems' registry and were the most likely cause of the error that caused a small number of people's machines to crash.
The Vole and Prevx apparently sat down and tried to work out what was happening and came to the conclusion that there was no way that the security patches could have caused the problem.
While it worked that out, Microsoft urged users to install patches carefully, testing them before rolling them out across a company. Not helpful advice for home users, of course.
Prevx has concluded that the problem must have been caused by some malware that stuffed up the configurations before the patches went in.
This tallies with the fact that very few people suffered from the problem, which if it were a result of the security patches would have affected more than just a few dozen users.
The company has apologised to Microsoft for the "inconvenience" caused by its original blog posting and is urging Windows 7 users to continue updating the operating system as normal.
A Microsoft spokesman said that there was nothing to see here move on please. µ

Link Removed - Invalid URL

You mean as in 'blue' screen? Apparently, although I've never seen them, there's also a white screen and a red screen of death...:eek:

Geez, with all these claims and counter claims I don't know what to believe. But I do know this. My wife's laptop went black on her today. If it happens again I guess I'll be required to check into the fix. Her computer has XP Home. It hasn't happened on my W7 RC.

Hey Stuey, it wasn't anything to do with what we discussed yesterday was it?

Hey Stuey, it wasn't anything to do with what we discussed yesterday was it?
No it wasn't that. She was trying to play a Hoyle puzzle Game when it just went black. I won't start on trying to fix Vista in her laptop til this evening after she goes to work. Thanks for your concern.

I'm sorry Kemical buddy. It's dual boot. She uses XP and I sometimes like to use Vista on it. Vista has the problem. I must have been clear as mud. Sorry about that. :redface:

Windows Update does not install drivers automatically unless you allow it to by selecting the drivers to update -- this is the same behavior as Windows Vista. The updates Windows Update will install automatically are the "important" or previously termed, critical updates. Black screen of death sounds like a fake story -- I saw some support requests about this a few months ago but very few people have this. It is the result of a bad video card or screwy video card drivers. There can be no other reason. I wonder how legitimate this story is.

Well guys, I;m the one that originally placed it in the security section, but as soon as I found out I posted the retraction by Prefix.

Sorry, this has escalated to this level

THE BRITISH INSECURITY FIRM that claimed Microsoft's last security patch created a 'black screen of death' has said sorry for stuffing it up.
Prevx charged last week that the security patch made changes to Microsoft operating systems' registry and were the most likely cause of the error that caused a small number of people's machines to crash.
The Vole and Prevx apparently sat down and tried to work out what was happening and came to the conclusion that there was no way that the security patches could have caused the problem.
While it worked that out, Microsoft urged users to install patches carefully, testing them before rolling them out across a company. Not helpful advice for home users, of course.
Prevx has concluded that the problem must have been caused by some malware that stuffed up the configurations before the patches went in.
This tallies with the fact that very few people suffered from the problem, which if it were a result of the security patches would have affected more than just a few dozen users.
The company has apologised to Microsoft for the "inconvenience" caused by its original blog posting and is urging Windows 7 users to continue updating the operating system as normal.
A Microsoft spokesman said that there was nothing to see here move on please. µ

Link Removed - Invalid URL

This was post number 25 and like Reghakr said above.. We've kind of gone over this already...

Back