Windows 7 Latest Windows 7 updates corrupt video?

rhaina

I have two machines that I generally use to game:

System 1:
Core i7 - 920 processor
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI motherboard
6gb memory
Nvidia BFG GeForce GTX 280 video
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64

System 2:
Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.66 - processor
Nvidia NForce 680i - motherboard
4gb memory
Nvidia BFG GeForce 8800 GTX
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Within the last month, both machines have experienced video corruption. My main machine, when it boots to desktop, the display will turn to all pixels, all different colors, and sometimes the cursor will be a box that I can move around, but nothing I do will make it come out of it. Sometimes it will reboot on its own, or I have to do it manually. Starting in safe mode, there are no problems. I have removed all the video drivers and reboot.. and it will load to desktop.. windows searches for drivers, installs and I have to reboot.. and it's the same issue. I've tried stopping windows from installing a driver and manually installing old drivers, beta drivers, current drivers.. a few times the computer has worked ok, but if I turn it off or restart.. it comes back. My secondary machine has suffered display corruption too, but it will load to desktop ok. Sometimes it will flicker and corrupt the screen.. sometimes to the point where I get the blue screen of death.

The likelyhood that both video cards are bad at the same time? I've tried installing new and old video drivers.. it seems that a recent Windows7 udpate has caused some issues?

For trouble shooting why not either uninstall the updates OR use a system restore point back to when you know for sure everything was good.

I just got my EVGA GTX 460 today, so if the GTX 280 card really isn't faulty, I'll put it in my other PC.

Back