Liars clowns and thieves: Microsofts folly

Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
Well so much for my want to install windows 7 again after hearing that windows 7 will get the upgrade to windows 10 for free.
According to articles and keynotes Windows 7 users will be allowed to upgrade to windows 10 for free, but according to my last phone call to Microsoft this wont be the case and will only be there for windows 8 and 8.1 users.
Such a pity as they could offer this for windows 7 users as incentive, but Microsoft screws the pooch again.
Oh well, I got linux so no worrys.

Last edited:
So just because you missed out on a freebie MS are liars and thieves.... Wow!

Microsoft has announced at its January 21st event that all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users will be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 for the first year of its launch. This is big news indeed, as it means almost all Windows users can get an update to the latest version of Windows at no-cost!

Microsoft claims that over 650 million people have upgraded to Windows 7 SP1, and all those people will get Windows 10 for free. 200 million people updated to Windows 8.1 Update, and they'll also be getting Windows 10 for free.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microso...ws-81-and-windows-7-users-1-year-after-launch

My goodness, my goodness....... I do so love it when, yet again, another Linux whiner, gets yet another thing about Microsoft WRONG!!!!!

They also made it pretty clear that windows 10 will be on some kind of a subscription so getting a free upgrade to windows 10 probably comes with strings attached… fact is, it's very early days yet.

I don't actually recall the mention of the word "subscription". I do remember them saying something about Windows as a "Service" which I'm not sure means the same thing. I really don't know what that means.
They said it would be free and once upgraded would be free for the life of the device with an asterisks
Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*
*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded.
SOURCE: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

My goodness, my goodness....... I do so love it when, yet again, another Linux whiner, gets yet another thing about Microsoft WRONG!!!!!

No the issue is clearly from Microsofts end, as one report is claiming that the upgrade will be free, one is claiming that windows 7 users wont see it until a year later.
Then there was my call to Microsoft whos rep said its for windows 8 only, something is being lost in the system somewhere within Microsofts hierarchy.
Then again this is still early days, not sure if all the paperwork is being filed the way its supposed to.

Plus this complaint is still valid rather if I am a linux user or not, if I was still using windows 7 and worshiped the ground Microsoft walks on this would still be an issue

Or will jump on the bandwagon.

Bashing Microsoft is always in vogue regardless whether the reason is credible or not.

Tell that to those who ditched windows 8 sometime, or Vista, or ME.

Last edited:
It just feels like a missed opportunity, as most windows 7 users wont downgrade to 8 to have 10.
Now if windows 10 came on its own disc then maybe we will see incentive, but its rather confusing that Microsoft is referencing 10 as a "service" so it makes you wonder if will be its own disk of some kind.
If you have 7 will it upgrade using it as a reference?
Or will you need windows 8?
Can it act as its own installation medium?
The builds can but we dont really know what the intent is over at Microsoft with this, its quite head tilting this early in the game.

I guess the full details of whatever happens will be revealed closer to the time. I know that's a bit 'Captain Obvious' but until we see that something is definite speculation will continue..

Microsoft actually following up on their promise is another
Promise?
I can promise you one thing. When it becomes available, however it becomes available (free, upgrade pricing breaks, full price retail, slightly lower priced OEM) it will be used and installed and bought and paid for and Linux will still be the third rate Operating System that it is today, was yesterday and will be for the foreseeable future, behind Windows and OSx

Promise?
I can promise you one thing. When it becomes available, however it becomes available (free, upgrade pricing breaks, full price retail, slightly lower priced OEM) it will be used and installed and bought and paid for and Linux will still be the third rate Operating System that it is today, was yesterday and will be for the foreseeable future, behind Windows and OSx

Someone hasnt heard of android.
Plus third rate?
Honestly in desktops sure linux isnt widely used but it dominates servers and mobile.
And really at least linux doesnt have adware, 30 day trials, spyware, the constant need to defrag, and have bluescreens when you change the slightest bit of hardware.

Someone hasnt heard of android.
Yes..... actually I have.
I think you may be talking about this https://community.rapid7.com/commun...ides-patches-for-webview-jelly-bean-and-prior
Face it... you can argue the laurels of Linux or Android (loosely based on a Linux kernel), or iOS or whatever, but the facts are what they are, every and I mean every OS has issues. Crazy stuff going on right now with latest iOS updates, Google deciding that anything prior to KitKat is legacy and will not receive updates. There's enough BS to go around.
The bottom line is .... you like what you like and you hate what you hate. Neither I nor anyone else is going to convince you one way or the other. It's hopeless to even try.

there is a good reason why I choose linux as with the right distro and hardware it is marvelous and far better then microsoft windows and just because something doesn't have a big blue E and a picture of a fruit it doesn't mean it's a third-rate operating system sure you may not be very good with anything but Microsoft Windows but for me I'm versatile and can adapt.
but even if I was a Windows user I would say that Microsoft really needs to step up to the plate as Windows 8 is a total failure and there is no incentive for me to buy windows 8 and I will not do so to use Windows 10 I have no interest if Windows 10 isn't its own product or cant be upgraded from Windows 7 meanwhile I don't have such an issue under linux as I can use pretty much any one of them and be fine but Microsoft needs to consider that there are users like me who like Windows 7 don't like Windows 8 and want upgradeability without any fuss. If Microsoft wants to make money that's fine they have a right to but they need to play a fair game and stop messing with us. I would happily dual boot Windows 10 but it has to do what microsoft says it will do.

1. Windows 10 is in beta… yes it’s a dogs breakfast right now but that’s the point of having a beta.

2. Linux is not the answer for everyone any more than windows is and the current Ubuntu is causing several people problems, especially with regards to virtual networks because IMO they rushed it out the door too soon so they are every bit as capable of stuffing things up… admittedly less people notice Linux issues than they do with Windows.

3. The idea that Microsoft gives two bits what you do or don’t like in an operating system is amusing because they only play a numbers game i.e. until your company purchases two hundred thousand new licenses, Microsoft doesn’t notice you.

Back
Top Bottom