Windows 7 Limited Access connection - Help!

BAtkinson17

Hi

Recently my PC hasn't been able to connect to the internet. I looked at the connection status and it said Limited Access. Before, I received an update for my netgear wireless adaptor. I installed the update and it worked fine, then after a couple hours I went out. When I returned the issue came up. Everything else works, my iPhone, tablets both laptops and the Xbox. I've tried everything I've found on the web; restarting, disabling/enabling, looking for the exclamation marks and whatnot. Even reinstalling the adapters drivers. Nothing works. I am using a sky router and Netgear Wireless Adaptor model WNA1100. Also, if you give me something to do with CMD, that doesn't work either, it just doesn't recognise the command, I.e \ipconfig. Something to do with the path, I don't know. I'll solve that later. The real issue is my connection! So if any of you can help, it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ben
P.S I don't understand all the computer terms, so you might need to explain abit. Sorry!

Bad news I'm afraid - ipconfig is really the first tool you need to analyse your connection. First try this way:

Press and hold down the Windows key and pres r. Then enter this command:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

if you get the blackcommand screen then enter this command:

ipconfig /all

If it all works the post the output on here for us to check out for you.

Bad news I'm afraid - ipconfig is really the first tool you need to analyse your connection. First try this way:

Press and hold down the Windows key and pres r. Then enter this command:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

if you get the blackcommand screen then enter this command:

ipconfig /all

If it all works the post the output on here for us to check out for you.
Thanks, that seems to work.

C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Ben-PC
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . .:
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Media State: . . . . . . . . . . . . : Media Disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled. . : Yes

Hope that's what you're looking for.
Regards, Ben.

Well done - it is what we need as far as it goes but either a large part of the output is missing or there is a seriousproblem with your adapter(s).

Well done - it is what we need as far as it goes but either a large part of the output is missing or there is a seriousproblem with your adapter(s).
That's all that came up. The wireless adapter has been working for me for the last year without error and has run smoothly. The only thing that has happened has been the update involving the adapter. There was one problem that I forgot to mention during the update. It said something like the drivers were missing or weren't working, but I got it fixed.
So what do you think now?

Have a look in control panel, device manager, network adapters (expand the list) and see what devices are listed and if any of them are showing a symbol next to them indication a problem.

Have a look in control panel, device manager, network adapters (expand the list) and see what devices are listed and if any of them are showing a symbol next to them indication a problem.
Done, nothing. No yellow exclamation marks or anything to indicate a problem. In device manager>network adapter(s) I clicked on mine and tabbed to power management, and a box labelled turn off device to save power was checked, I unticked it but it still doesn't work. I also noticed something else, when I click on the connection bars symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen at the top of the list of the connections I can join it says "Wireless Network Connection 2" and then and arrow to expand the list. I have no idea why it's wireless connection number 2 but it's just a suggestion to maybe why it's not working properly.
What do you suggest next?
P.S Thank you for your help, much appreciated!

I think the list you displayed from ipconfig must have been cut short as you are getting some interaction from adapters which are just not showing in the report. Try saving the report to a file by running ipconfig as I described earlier but sending the output to a file instead of the display by entering:

ipconfig /all >c:\users\your username\desktop\ipconf.txt

This will send the results to a file on your desktop called ipconf.txt which you can then post here.

I think the list you displayed from ipconfig must have been cut short as you are getting some interaction from adapters which are just not showing in the report. Try saving the report to a file by running ipconfig as I described earlier but sending the output to a file instead of the display by entering:

ipconfig /all >c:\users\your username\desktop\ipconf.txt

This will send the results to a file on your desktop called ipconf.txt which you can then post here.
Exact same results as before. No point posting it up here because it's on my earlier reply.

I'm puzzled - your ipconfig shows no networking devices configured on your system but your message re "Wireless Network Connection 2" indicates that there is a functioning wireless network adapter!

Goto control panel, network and sharing centre, click on "change adapter settings" and first tell us what adapters are listed. If one of them is a wireless adapter, right click on it and select properties. Scroll down to internet protocol version 4, highlight it and click on properties. Tell us what options are selected on the General tab.

I'm puzzled - your ipconfig shows no networking devices configured on your system but your message re "Wireless Network Connection 2" indicates that there is a functioning wireless network adapter!

Goto control panel, network and sharing centre, click on "change adapter settings" and first tell us what adapters are listed. If one of them is a wireless adapter, right click on it and select properties. Scroll down to internet protocol version 4, highlight it and click on properties. Tell us what options are selected on the General tab.
The adapters listed: Hamachi (Enabled), Local Area Connection (unplugged), Wireless Network Connection 2 (Enabled) (Netgear WNA1100 N150 my adapter)
The boxes ticked in the general tab are: Obtain an IP address automatically and the other one is Obtain DNS server addresses automatically

"In device manager>network adapter(s) I clicked on mine" - and what device names were listed? Did it show your netgear adapter?

Suggest you goto control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on the wireless adapter and remove it. Reboot and let Windows detect and reinstall the driver.

Suggest you goto control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on the wireless adapter and remove it. Reboot and let Windows detect and reinstall the driver.
Should I check the box saying delete the driver software for this device ?

Download and manually install the driver from here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23641

Note particularly these instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new software to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.exe
    Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA1100/WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.zip
    NOTE: After downloading, DO NOT RUN THE FILE YET. Please proceed to Step 2.
  2. To properly install adapter software, please remove drivers that were previously installed.
    To uninstall, go to Start > Programs > NETGEAR WNA1100 adapter > Uninstall NETGEAR WNA1100 adapter .
  3. Unplug the WNA1100 adapter from your computer.
  4. Run the file you just downloaded and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  5. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR utility, run WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.exe. and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  6. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR utility, run WNA1100_StandAlone_V1.1.0.2.exe. and follow the on-screen install instructions.

Download and manually install the driver from here:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23641

Note particularly these instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new software to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.exe
    Download Link: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNA1100/WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.zip
    NOTE: After downloading, DO NOT RUN THE FILE YET. Please proceed to Step 2.
  2. To properly install adapter software, please remove drivers that were previously installed.
    To uninstall, go to Start > Programs > NETGEAR WNA1100 adapter > Uninstall NETGEAR WNA1100 adapter .
  3. Unplug the WNA1100 adapter from your computer.
  4. Run the file you just downloaded and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  5. If you want to install the adapter drivers including the NETGEAR utility, run WNA1100_Setup_v2.1.0.2.exe. and follow the on-screen install instructions.
  6. If you want to install just the adapter drivers without the NETGEAR utility, run WNA1100_StandAlone_V1.1.0.2.exe. and follow the on-screen install instructions.
How am I supposed to download this when I don't have any internet on the PC that needs them

Have you got access to another Computer? If you do download the file and transfer it to a USB drive.

Back