Windows 7 Login Screen = Black Screen

Newb4Life

Hi,

I am new to these forums and I have a bit of a problem:

My Windows 7 system will not load the login screen. It shows the "Windows is Loading" screen and then goes black with the cursor being the only thing visible.

Please help me out. I am using my Linux system right now and it would be frustrating to have to reinstall everything again, IF I can even manage to get disks.

I have tried the recover console which claimed to of found errors but apparently we're the right ones.

I have tried ctrl alt del

I'm hoping for a boot disk image or something that will fix this.

PS: I used Tweak 7 to change the login background a couple of weeks ago but never gave me problems.

This error began after I logged out of my gaming account to log into my normal account (but have different startup schemes) and never got that far.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums :)
What happened when you pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del? Were you presented with the Task Manager?

Nope

Thanks! :eek:

Taskman Didn't start up at all.

When the screen does show up: After about 3 seconds the cursor changes into the busy symbol for about 1 second. Not that that really helps any but it was a little interesting.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?
Press F8 after the BIOS screen in displayed and select "Safe Mode with Networking" followed by pressing enter.

If that works, once logged in open command prompt and type in "Sfc /scannow"
This will scan for integrity violations and other file system problems and automatically fix them.

To add to Agent Data's post, try the "start-up repair" mode of the repair disc.. though not sure if that will work since the problem is technically occurring after the boot process.

Get into the bios (F8 on initial boot). If your bios has such an option, change to VGA mode. If you can then boot up into the Desktop, change the resolution to the recommended highest and try a reboot. It is possible the game changed your resolution.

Bios

The only option that Bios had was LCD System only, or Auto Select.

I set it to LCD Sytem only and it did not work.

I now have it back to Auto Select.

ALSO: The laptop did not come with any disks. : /

For what it's worth I have had this a few times.

I ran the start up repair option and it sat for a while and then said that it couldn't fix the problem.
I then booted normally and it loaded right up.

This happened every time in spite of the fact that it always said it couldn't fix the problem .

Mike

Tried it

Eh,

Thanks for the help but I tried that too. It said it found the problems and 'fixed' them but it didn't work.

You may have to run a repair install, that shouldn't take more then 30 minutes, 20 on my computer and you should not have to reinstall any of your other software, but it should correct the boot problem.

I'm not sure of the exact terminology but if you put in your Widows DVD it should ask you what you want to do and say something like repair install as opposed to custom install which will delete everything.

Good Luck

I did find a link to .iso files for various versions of Windows 7 by searching on Google.
I searched for "Download Windows 7 ISO". I won't post the link here since I'm not sure that it is legit. These are supposed to be links to download sites of retailers who sell Windows 7 online.

I would assume that as long as you have a valid serial number you have the right to install one of these but whether it will be recognized by Microsoft or not, I don't know.

It really bugs me that manufacturers don't supply Window install disks when you buy a new computer, I suppose that they have to pay Microsoft more if they do, otherwise what's the cost of a DVD.

Mike

Mine does that also

Perhaps it is just taking a very long time to load Windows. When I start my machine I get the windows logo rather fast, then the screen goes black for 1 min. and 35 seconds. EVERY TIME! , then the logon screen comes on and all is fine. I've tried a few things to fix this but my knowledge is limited. One thing I do know, Windows 7 is pretty much an expensive mistake for me. Pat

Perhaps it is just taking a very long time to load Windows. When I start my machine I get the windows logo rather fast, then the screen goes black for 1 min. and 35 seconds. EVERY TIME!

depending on the underlying hardware the boot process can be longish - for my part it takes 35 seconds to log-on screen.

I get push the button to desktop showing in about a minute.
There is some loading continuing after the desktop shows but it's much faster then XP was for me.

Thanks

I ended up burning the Win recovery disk and used system restore to go back a few days and it worked.

Looks like my next step is going to be using Toshiba's recovery disk utility to make one for future use.

Thanks again for the help. ;)

Back