Windows 10 Losing more and more Windows 10

DRE44

Upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 at Microsoft suggestion. Everything fine for a while. Then lost 'start' button - lost programmes list and had to right click to turn off. Somehow the button started working again (Microsoft update?). Again everything fine for a while.
1. Have now lost 'start' button again.
2. 'Critical error' message on shutting down
3. Microsoft Edge not working
4. Clicking a link in an email used to open 'Edge', now get a box asking how I want to open the link. Choice of 2 boxes to click on. Neither work. Have to copy shortcut and use IE.
5. Can't open Notifications in bottom right hand corner
6. Can't open calendar

Question is - how do I get back to a properly working Windows 10?

What version of W10 are you running, exactly? Current build is v1607 b14393.479. When you did your upgrade to W10 from W7 did you remember to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST first? Instructions for the Compatibility test can be found here: Get Windows 10 app - Check Compatibility Report for Windows 10

If you didn't run the above Test before doing the upgrade, you could have failures with 1 or more of your programs, apps, drivers, or hardware components. Before you try and repair W10 you should know that many procedures that we will recommend to you can cause irretrievable data loss. Therefore we urge you to make a complete backup of all your Personal Data (Library folders) to external media before proceeding further!

At this point, you can try to run the built-in SYSTEM RESTORE in W10 and "rollback" your windows to a point in time before these odd problems began occurring. Since the Edge browser and other windows internals are beginning to disappear, most likely causes are:
1.) Windows corruption
2.) Virus/Malware attack
3.) Failing hardware component

System Restore can correct many of #1 type problems by undoing whatever software issue is causing problems, even if you don't know which component or app is the cause. And without having to be an expert in troubleshooting.

#2: You should scan with whatever AV your computer has installed (WD, Norton, Avast, TrendMicro, etc.) and scan/remove all viruses found. Reboot and retest your windows for proper operation. In many cases, removing all viruses can repair your problem and you're set to go!:up:

#3: If after running #1 and #2 and the problem persists, you'll need to take a look at doing hardware testing of your computer to look for faulty components such as RAM sticks or Hard Drive(s). Use this Troubleshooting Guide I wrote here for step-by-step instructions: Windows 10 - Unclickable Task Bar
Completing the hardware testing & software repair will generally result in finding the failed component *if there is one* and results are usually corrected in 85% of the time.

Remember too, that if you're computer was running W7 it's 7 years old and will be 8 years old in 2017. You should know that Hard Drives in modern computers are only designed to last 2 years in laptops, 3 years in desktop PCs! :eek: If you've never replaced that Hard Drive in your present computer or paid a Tech to do that for you, chances are about 90% that's it's failing or failed and it must be replaced.

Follow these steps, and you should be able to get things working again yourself! :up:

If you get stuck along the way or have more questions, post back here, we are here 24x7x365!

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Thanks to both of you. I tried the first process but it wouldn't work. I've now decided as the laptop is several years old, I should think of replacing it. I always thought that the upgrade to Windows 10 was for Windows 8, but Microsoft kept insisting it was OK for Windows 7. Thanks again.

It would of course help if we knew the specs of your computer such as Make/Model of your laptop. Bottom line, is that if it was built prior to 2006, the hardware will limit it from running W10.:waah: I have updated 6 or more machines that are 8 years old or older, up to 10 years old from XP->W7->W10 and from VISTA->W7->W10. It can be done, but without the exact specs on your laptop, it's going to be iffy. That's another reason to run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST I refer to I my Post #3 above. You didn't say whether you ran that or not, but it's sounds like you didn't, and your laptop hardware most likely is tool old to pass the test. If you download the free SPECCY diagnostic from piriform.com and upload the resulting output text file back here to this thread we can get an exact build date and BIOS date and tell you more specifically. I get the feeling that you're not willing to do that work, and are just going to pull the plug on the upgrade and that's perfectly fine. But, you are mistaken about the W7->W10 upgrade path. :noway: That upgrade is supported just as are W8->W10 and W8.1->W10 upgrades. And that's been for about 2 years now according to Gabe Abul at Microsoft who's in charge of the entire W10 Insider Testing project of which 8 million participants were involved with *including me and several others here at WF*.

If you do some deeper research via Google as well as searching our extensive threads here at WF on the W7/W8x->W10 upgrade process you will see corroboration for my statement. I also started several of these threads while being a tester and out of necessity for Clients who would bring their failed W7 or W8x machines that died during one of these upgrades.

The other limiting factor besides the build date of your laptop's Motherboard and CPU chip is whether the laptop was built during the XP-era; from 2001-2006. Experientially, I was able to prove that machines built during the cutoff year or just before 2006 and earlier that have Microsoft stickers on them that say XP installed; "Vista-Compatible" or "Vista-Ready" appear to take a W10 upgrade in all cases tested.:fdance: I have multiple machines that work in this fashion. If the laptop doesn't have either of these stickers on them or the stickers were pulled off, most likely they will never run the W7->W10 upgrade.:down: We have recently garnered independent confirmation from a number of sources outside of WF such as Microsoft Community Forum who corroborate our findings. Feel free to do the searches.;)

Reading through the W10 upgrade license mumbo-jumbo you will also find that Microsoft does indeed fully support the W10 upgrades on all computers that "...were manufactured during or after the "Modern Era". Microsoft further defines computers built in the "Modern Era" as all computers manufactured in 2009 or later. It's right there in there licenses and press releases back to Sep. 2014.

I threw this Post up for others experiencing W10 upgrade failures on older laptops as well as desktops to not take that statement you made at face value. Just because it didn't work on your machine, doesn't mean it won't work on other machines built around the same time. Since we don't have your EXACT build date of your laptop, we can't say for certain that you W7->W10 upgrade will not work, but, we can say conclusively that it was designed to work and I have performed the upgrade on multiple test machines of my own as well as several Client computers too.

FYI.
Best of luck,:cheerful:
<<<BBJ>>>

Last edited:
Hi

Since you had Windows 10 installed and registered you could just do a clean install, and get rid of any errors creeping in through the upgrade.

It would be a good idea to run the compatibility test as BigBear suggested.

You can get the install media here...

Windows 10

Pick the option to create install media.

As long as you were logging in with your Windows Account ID you should be able to install it and log in with no problems.

Mike

Try running...

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

From the elevated command prompt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom