Windows 7 Mainly caused by ntoskrnl.exe , dxgmm1.sys , atikmdag.sys

Secumfex

So I'm getting an abundant amount of BSODs while gaming, for quite some time now. It's basicly bound to happen, everytime I play a game, after 15 to 45 minutes.

How ever, it may (even though by far less frequently) happen while surfing.

The BSODs Names range from SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION over PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA to BAD_POOL_HEADER , which occur most frequently.

I attached the minidumps from the last few days.

The files or services that BlueScreenView suggests to have caused the BSOD are mainly the following:
- atikmdag.sys
- ntoskrnl.exe
- win32k.sys
- dxgmms1.sys
- dxgkrnl.sys

As a layman I'd say this sounds a lot like GPU / GPU Driver related errors, plus, it mainly happens while playing GPU heavy games (BFBC2, GTA4 at the moment).

Steps I have done so far:
- Deinstalled Pen Tablet Drivers (BSODs occured somewhat from the same time)
- Deinstalled NIS
- Deinstalled ATI CCC and Installed ATI Drivers without CCC
- Deinstalled Daemon Tools
- Ran memtestx86 (2 runthroughs - no errors)
- Ran check disk (no errors)
- Ran system drivers check (no errors)
- Swapped RAM Slots
- Took 1 RAM out
- Swapped remaining RAM with one i took out
- Put both back in
- Checked all fans are running
- Watched temperatures while playing (not even close to 60 or 55 C° , so no overheating at all)

I'm running out of ideas, I'd love to hear if anyone has any advice left for me to try out.
I did not yet convince myself it'd be a good idea to replace ntsokrnl.exe even though some websites advise it.
May it also be my hard disks dying? Or may it even be a late Windows 7 Update causing the trouble (I have read many posts like mine elsewhere lately)?

Since I guess it's a driver issue, can someone point out to me, which ones I should update/remove/reinstall and howI should do that?

CPU-Z Screencaps:
Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error

The latest Dump being:
Link Removed due to 404 Error

I'm not overclocking anything, haven't changed any BIOS settings, but also never updated it since I got the new hardware somewhen 2010 (?).

Basic PC Specs:
Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (didnt notice that until now... are there newer SPs?)
ASRock H55M Pro - Mainboard
Intel Core i5 750 - CPU
2x GEIL 2GB CL7-7-7 DDR3-1333 (I'm wondering whether my Frequencys are correct?) - RAM
Radeon HD5770 - GPU

Is there anything else I should post for further information?

Edit: thanks for moving =)

Last edited:
It does seem to be related to a video driver situation. I suppose looking for ATI drivers/catalyst might be required.

Do you run Steam when playing the games? If so, it seems to update quit ofter, has yours?

Any chance your system is getting hot?

You do have one older driver I can see that is irsir.sys and is from Microsoft and tied to an IR serial input, but might be an XP driver. Do you know if anything you have uses it? This does not mean it is involved in the situation, but something to check.

It does "feel" like a video issue but the bugcheck indicates a bad pool caller (memory). Can you please run these two tests to diagnose.

Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program.

Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.

Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.

Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.

Driver verifier

I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

In Windows 7 you can make a Startup Repair disk by going to Start....All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc - with Windows Vista you'll have to use your installation disk or the "Repair your computer" option at the top of the Safe Mode menu .

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen. Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation (an estimate on my part).

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Old drivers that could use updating
Code:
irsir.sys    1/19/2008 2:36:11 AM        fffff880`02dde000    fffff880`02dea000    0x0000c000    0x47919a5b                        
Rt64win7.sys    2/26/2009 5:04:13 AM        fffff880`07200000    fffff880`07232000    0x00032000    0x49a65b0d                        
GEARAspiWDM.sys    5/18/2009 8:17:04 AM        fffff880`07c99000    fffff880`07ca6000    0x0000d000    0x4a1151c0

How To Find Drivers:
- search Google for the name of the driver
- compare the Google results with what's installed on your system to figure out which device/program it belongs to
- visit the web site of the manufacturer of the hardware/program to get the latest drivers (DON'T use Windows Update or the Update driver function of Device Manager).
- if there are difficulties in locating them, post back with questions and someone will try and help you locate the appropriate program.
- - The most common drivers are listed on this page: Driver Reference http://www.carrona.org/dvrref.html
- - Driver manufacturer links are on this page: http://www.carrona.org/drvrdown.html

@zigzag1343
So I ran Memtest again, while being away for some 4 hours or so.

Looks like I do indeed have some faulty memory in there:
P1040963.jpg

How ever, I ran it with both RAM Sticks attached, so I guess next I'll have to do the Test again, with only one RAM-Stick attatched, right?

If errors occur I'll try the second RAM Stick. Then try different Slots, in case errors still occur.

Is there any other information I might get from Memtest?
Does this result already point out that my problems are irreparable hardware defects?
If so, should I still run Driver Verifier? The method described seems quite harsh to the system with possibilty to ruin it altogether?

@saltgrass
Yes I already reinstalled ATI Drivers, both with and without Catalyst Control Center. It didn't help.

I do run Steam while playing, but I don't really get your question, sorry. Is it whether Steam tends to quit updates? Or whether it DID quit an update? Both, no not as far as I can remember, specifically.

I do not believe my system is getting hot while playing, at least if HWMonitor and the BIOS show valid information. Its case is open aswell, so i don't think it's getting not enough air to breathe.

---

I'll keep you posted, thanks for your advice :)

---

edit: ---nvm the stupid question that stood here---

My Ram are these Link Removed due to 404 Error

I've read elsewhere that it may aswell be a problem related to their voltages, which are set at 1.5V. They may have to be set higher, for the RAM to be able to cope with the accessing speed of CPU / Mainboard. Again, sounds like voodoo to me.

Last edited:
In your bios can you change your memories command rate to 2T and then run the memtest again please.

Memtest had 6 runs without any errors with only one RAM stick in slot #1.

---
@nmsuk
Now, I put the other RAM Stick back in slot #3, changed Command Rate from "Auto" to 2T, and I am running memtest again.

I was reading in the manual for your motherboard that for best compatiblity for 2 sticks of ram to use the white mem slots.

Yup, that's where my sticks are located since i got the hardware. It's the slots A1 (#1) and B1(#3).
The system wouldn't even start at all, if I used A2(#2) and B2(#4) (blue slots). I already tried that while looking for a solution myself (trying out different DIMM slots).

With 2T activated, I have currently 5 Passes on Memtest without any errors, but two DIMMs attatched. I'll let it complete the 6th run, though.

edit: 6th Pass completed with no errors, how ever another BSOD while playing occured. So 2T activation wasn't the problem.
I'm now updating the drivers that need updating, i might removie that Gearaspiwdm.sys, though, as it does have a reputation concerning BSODs. Also, it came with itunes...

Attachments

• 071211-25015-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 442
Last edited:
@Secumfex;
Sounds like you are making good progress and on the right track. But don't neglect to tend to the drivers listed above in Zigzag's post especially the very old RealTek driver for your network adapter.
Rt64win7.sys 2/26/2009 5:04:13 AM
You should be able to find one with a 2011 date.
Take a look here Realtek
See if your card is listed. If not, determine which card you have and use the realtek site to obtain the latest.

Oh boy, i just updated the Realtek driver, deinstalled Itunes (which took GEARAspiWDM.sys with it), and also deactivated the irsir.sys driver, which is distributed through windows updates and therefore doesnt seem to have a download site or update site or whatever. I'm not using InfraRed Devices anyways.

I also used verifier, and rebooted, now my system is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWW, I guess that's what verifier does?

How exactly am I going to find out how that helps me finding the faulty driver?
Will it probably be the driver the file that the then generated minidump will hint at?

Last edited:
It stresses the drivers out and if it bsods the mini dump will tell us hopefully which driver failed. It may not crash though which is what we really want ot happen.

I didn't have much time the last days to do any further testing, but regular usage of the computer did not show errors anymore.

Since last post, I stopped verifier only some minutes after posting. From then on, I did not encounter any more BSODs while using the PC for either working or playing. Even after an hour or two, I did not encounter any BSOD. Therefore, I believe that the problem has been solved. =)

My last steps that solved it were the following (as posted above):
I updated the Realtek driver, deactivated the irsir.sys driver (Infrared driver) and deinstalled Itunes alongside GEARAspiWDM.sys.
I reactivated irsir.sys after some time.

My final verdict is:GEARAspiWDM.sys was the driver which caused the error.

As Gear Software points out itself, the old version of the driver does have a security flaw, that enables access to NT Kernel (which did cause my BSODs often ):

GEAR Software Inc: CD DVD Filter. IMPORTANT: Update your driver to latest version(See Link). Old versions have a security flaw that allows kernal access to NT Systems! Also, updated drivers support 32/64bit as well as Itanium.

So installing the latest Version of the driver is mandatory for all users who have the old driver installed (which is not compatible with win7 anyways).

http://www.gearsoftware.com/

If I'm mistaken, and the problem still occurs, I'll post again then :D

Up until then, thank you very much for your support. =)

Edit: Nope, I was wrong. I'm still getting BSODs, the problem has not been solved yet.

Last edited:
Nope false alert, still getting BSODs.

I'm going to try the driver verifier method again, see if i can find the faulty driver.

Attachments

• 071611-26562-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 436
  • 071511-31281-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 436
  • 071511-23000-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 439
  • 071511-25906-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 071411-30281-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 435
  • 071411-30718-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 439
Could you if possible post pics of you memory settings voltage and timings please. CPUZ each tab will do. My thinking is each stick is stable and we know each slot is ok too. This to me looks like a bios configuration and memory timings error with multiple sticks.

Last edited:
Hi Secumfex,

Your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller still pre-dates Windows 7, Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 09:04:13 2009, I'd get this updated. New version is v7.046

Also:

Norton is known to be a cause of BSOD's on Windows 7 systems. I suggest that you uninstall Norton through the normal methods and then run the Norton Removal Tool in Safe Mode. Download Blue Screen friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled!

Once Bluescreens are resolved feel free to retry Norton, though personally, I wouldn't from the problems I've seen it cause.

Hi Secumfex,

Your Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller still pre-dates Windows 7, Rt64win7.sys Thu Feb 26 09:04:13 2009, I'd get this updated. New version is v7.046

Oh man -.- . I really thought I'd have gotten the newest drivers. Turns out I fetched the wrong one (from different sites all stating i'd be the newest and updated June 2011). I've now gotten the correct one after hurdling through Realtek's website.

I realized that even though I did update it, the date would stay the same, so I guessed it'd be the latest one after all. Thanks for making me look that up once more ;).

Also:

Norton is known to be a cause of BSOD's on Windows 7 systems. I suggest that you uninstall Norton through the normal methods and then run the Norton Removal Tool in Safe Mode. Download Blue Screen friendly Link Removed due to 404 Error as its replacement. Make sure Windows firewall is enabled!

Once Bluescreens are resolved feel free to retry Norton, though personally, I wouldn't from the problems I've seen it cause.

I really don't hope Norton is the troublemaker, since I bought another year of service some weeks ago.
I had it uninstalled for the last couple of days ( even though problems reoccured), so I reinstalled it again.
But as long as problems are present, I figure it'd be a good idea to have it uninstalled for now.

Will proceed with your advice now.

----------------------

Edit: Remaining CPU-Z Screens attatched
4.JPG1.JPG5.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Last edited:
But as long as problems are present, I figure it'd be a good idea to have it uninstalled for now.
Let's just say that Norton is known to cause problems on many systems. So are many others AV's.
However MSE isn't. Why? Well Microsoft will make sure that their AV will use the correct "Security Algorithms" used by their Windows 7 system, which is totally different to Vista and has no relationship to XP whatsoever. A lot of the AV companies are still trying to catch up.
So by using MSE while you are having problems removes one more variable.

Last edited:
Nope that didn't solve the problem, either.

Neither the new Realtek driver, nor uninstalling Norton (complete with Norton Removal Tool) helped.

Here's the new dump

Attachments

• 071611-19031-01.dmp
    268.5 KB · Views: 466
Back