Windows 7 Major partition/hard drive problem..

maximus01701

So my set up.............................

Mobo: GA-MA69GM-S2H
Mem: 4.00 GB RAM
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Storage: (x4) 320 GB running in raid 0

I have two partitions on the raid, One is for windows the other is for my work.
(c) has 200 gigs, while (d) has 1000 GB: (roughly)

Background info..............................

Three days ago i decided to wipe C from vista and install Win. 7
all went great until about an hour ago...

The problem........................................

on the secondary partition i keep all my work. (movies, doc, music, apps, games ect. ect. ect)
everything was working fine when all of a sudden (after dragging over a movie from the desktop) OR
(after i removed myself from a home group)
Windows was unable to access the secondary partition..... it was able to see it... (kinda) but was not able
to get into it.. (almost as if i just plugged in another hard drive it and needed to be formatted)

i can see the drive in my comp, but it does not give me a bar indicating how much is used and free...
i have tried running a chk dsk on the drive, but it won't allow me, saying it does not have access to the drive.

I can see it in device manager, and it all checks out to be healthy......

I am completely at a loss..... i have NEVER seen anything like this before.... i hope we can fix this
BTW- the drive is about 80% full (i CAN NOT afford to loose the data!!)

I hope i have included enough info, please through any suggestions you have at me!!

thanks again!

You can do this!

You can use your raid utilities and check for driver updates if you are using the onboard motherboard raid if not just plug the Hard drive into another computer, see if that will read it or try booting to a linux cd, see if that will read it. If another windows computer can't access the files and linux can't access the files then find a mac computer connect the Hard drive, have OS X force mount it and if that still cannot access the Lost Data, contact your Data Recovery Experts and have them retrieve the files.

Source: Digital Image Recovery USB Data Recovery Digital Photo Recovery Memory Stick Recovery Service

Are you sure you are doing RAID 0 across 4 drives?

If you are,,, you really Really REAllLLy want to back up your data as often as possible....

Running RAID 0 is striping only,,, no mirrors, nothing.... when one drive blows up,, doesn't matter how many partitions you have,, you are going to lose everything on your PC,, period,,, no recovering anything, from any partitions, at all, no way no how.

Good Luck!

Are you sure you are doing RAID 0 across 4 drives?

If you are,,, you really Really REAllLLy want to back up your data as often as possible....

Running RAID 0 is striping only,,, no mirrors, nothing.... when one drive blows up,, doesn't matter how many partitions you have,, you are going to lose everything on your PC,, period,,, no recovering anything, from any partitions, at all, no way no how.

Good Luck!

Please read full thread before posting....
-thx

This says you are,.,,,

That says to me,, that you have a RAID 0 across 4 drives and then partitioned to 2 partitions. If any drive goes bad,, all data is gone on both partitions,, no recovery.

This says you are,.,,,

That says to me,, that you have a RAID 0 across 4 drives and then partitioned to 2 partitions. If any drive goes bad,, all data is gone on both partitions,, no recovery.

Please REREAD full thread before posting...
-Thx

P.S- I know my grammar is not amazing... but seriously man.....

I did read it,,, and I re-read it,, and it says the same thing, unless you are not stating things correctly or leaving information out.

A. 320G HDD's x 4 which you are running in a RAID 0 = 1.2TB total

B. You have partitioned them into one 200G C: Drive and one 1000G D: drive

If that is what you have done?????????...... if even one 320G drive goes bad,,,, all your data , evey last bit, on both partitions will be gone..... end of story.

If you are not setup that way,, then my apologies,,, but that's they way it reads. I am just trying to warn you that it is a bad idea. But it's your data, your drives.

If you are doing full drive backups of both partitions to an external source,, then fine. But otherwise,, you have been warned.

Last edited:
I did read it,,, and I re-read it,, and it says the same thing, unless you are not stating things correctly or leaving information out.

A. 320G HDD's x 4 which you are running in a RAID 0 = 1.2TB total

B. You have partitioned them into one 200G C: Drive and one 1000G D: drive

If that is what you have done?????????...... if even one 320G drive goes bad,,,, all your data , evey last bit, on both partitions will be gone..... end of story.

If you are not setup that way,, then my apologies,,, but that's they way it reads. I am just trying to warn you that it is a bad idea. But it's your data, your drives.

Gah, your driving me insane dude....
When i get home, IF i have time... AND IF the admin has not locked/deleted (as helpful as it may be) this thread. I will show you the errors in your ways.

-Cheers mate.

Well,, then you are in a precarious position.....

My point and I have stated it enough,was that if you fixed the issue,, you need to get your data off and re-setup your RAID array. But anyway............ The problem that you will now face, (if you are still unable to access your data) is as follows......

You can attempt to access the data using BartPE or UBCD.... but I warn you (if you are running a RAID 0 across 4 drives) you could potentially break the array and lose it all anyway.

Maybe you understand,, maybe you don't,, but I am trying to save you from a future disaster once you do regain your data (if you do).

But, your on your own.

Back