Make 2T external HD show in w.explorer

nichos

Extraordinary Member
Hi,

Just bought on line a small 2T external HD & as is not shown I cannot Format it.

Tried various programs like eases-us etc hoping they have something to make it show in w.explorer with no success.

It specifies formatting in Fat32. My 1T PC HD is in NTFS & so is my other 1T External one.

The local IT shop can format it at ÂŁ43, twice the cost of the USB HD.

Is there a free program to make it show in W10? ……….thanx

PS. the usb disk shows in Cntrol panel's Device Manager & in "safely remove"

Last edited:
Thanx, this below No.60 is the ext.drive@s properties in Disk Management & No 59 shows works fine, except of coarse is not shown in explorer where I can format it.

How else can I format it

People say must format it to see it, chicken & egg case.

Attachments

• DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_0059.JPG
    DSC_0059.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
In disk management you need to right click it and initialize the disk first then you can format it

I did right click the ext. usb No1drive & selected Initialise but it says "wrong action".

As I said before, People say must format it first to see it but, o where Format appears. chicken & egg case.

Attachments

• DSC_0062.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 170
If it's a raw disk which it looks like you need to initialize it first which applies either a GPT or MBR partition scheme. Only then can you format since when you format you are working on a partition.

1. I have tried a few times to initialise but says "incorrect action"

2. Unbranded HD.

Does the disk work on another computer? There's a good chance it's a hardware issue.

If you run diskpart from a command line can you see the disk when you type list disk
and if you can see if type select disk # and then detail disk and post

Back
Top Bottom