Windows 8 Metro UI Start Screen?

AmgedIsmail

Hello,
Today I have upgraded my Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 Release Preview I didn't download the ISO image, so should I install the ISO rather than upgrading the previous OS? Does this affect the changes of some features or anything or it's just that nothing has been changed yet with the Metro UI?

I still see this Full-Screen Metro UI!!!
So hasn't it been changed at all yet?

I want the Start Button appear.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean the Consumer Preview to be the Preivious OS, it does not appear you can upgrade it. I tried, just to make sure, and it appeared to work in some part, but never finished.

You will still see the same entry screen, except for the lettering on the lower right. The RC does not contain Windows Media Center, so you can check to see if you show that.

Yes. The previous OS was Consumer Preview and it successfully upgraded to the Release version.
I just downloaded the Windows 8 Assistant from microsoft website and I followed the instruction, it was a downloader that downloaded and installed Windows 8 Release

No, I checked I don't have Windows Media Center. It is only Windows Media Player.

So, Does Windows 8 Release Preview has the Metro UI full screen can't changed as it was in the Consumer Preview??

I heard that I can tick and untick a choice when I right-click on An empty area on Desktop "Start Screen as Full Screen"

Any questions about the operation of the RP will have to be answered by someone else.

I don't know about the right click thing, but why don't you try and let us know. I would check, but I have already removed Win 8 from my system.

Hi

I followed the link that they sent me, and it checked my computer and said that only a few programs would have to be re-installed in Windows 8 RP. Many of those were Microsoft stuff.

It appeared that it was going to reinstall RP over my present installation and retain my settings and software.
It said that all my Adobe software was good to go which is the biggest hassle.
It also didn't show my games etc. and said that they were not shown because it didn't know whether they would work or not.

At this point I backed out of the process.

Is this how it works, I was planning to download the .iso image file and install from there but if it will just upgrade my present install I like to do it that way and avoid having to re-install everything.

Mike

No. The Right-Click menu is the same as always.
Untitled-5.jpg

There is a minus (-) icon on the bottom right of Metro screen. By clicking that, you can reduce the size of the app icons so you can see more on one window. You can also select groups which you can then move as a whole.

But that setting does not stick, if that is what you are referring to.

It appeared that it was going to reinstall RP over my present installation and retain my settings and software.
It said that all my Adobe software was good to go which is the biggest hassle.
It also didn't show my games etc. and said that they were not shown because it didn't know whether they would work or not.

At this point I backed out of the process.

Is this how it works, I was planning to download the .iso image file and install from there but if it will just upgrade my present install I like to do it that way and avoid having to re-install everything.

Mike
Mike, not sure you are replying in the thread you are trying to, but the RP install is basically a clean install. It will put your settings in the Windows.old folder, but wipe everything else. Currently there are no options for keeping anything, but I assume if you did this install on Windows 7, there would be some options. I may try it later.

I thought Windows 8 Release Preview made the change of the Metro and returned back the Start Button just like in Windows 7

No. I am just asking where is the Start Button Just as in Windows 7?
I don't like Metro.
It was removed with the Consumer Preview and will probably not come back. Your comment is reflected throughout the forum.

If enough people complain, maybe it will show up again.....But the OS is not really Desktop friendly, but aimed more toward a touchscreen/internet appliance type of environment.

Hi Saltgrass

Your right I meant to post in the message about installing.
I'm going to start a new post with some screen shots because what it told me doesn't sound like you have to do a clean install.
In fact if I understood it correctly it specifically says that you don't have to reinstall your software.

I'd like to understand what's going to happen before I do it.
I've done it too many times the other way! LOL

Mike

Back