Windows 7 Missing operating system

Jesper

Hi all,

I've had Windows 7 since the release date, but for some reason it has stopped working. I can start up my PC, but at the login screen it crashes (sometime bluescreen, sometimes not). I tried safe mode, debug mode, CD-boot, system repair, but it just crashes when I get past the part where Windows does some basic starting.

The problem started today, I went downstairs to get some breakfast, and when I came back my PC was restarting. Then I tried starting it again, but it crashed on the login screen (blue screen). At that point I was able to get into safe mode, but for some reason I'm not able to do that either anymore.

Then I tried "Optimized settings" in my BIOS, and now it sais "Operating system missing". I already tried booting from the CD. I went into command prompt in the "repair PC" screen, and tried:
Bootrec.exe/fixmbr
Bootrec.exe/fixboot
Bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

But all with no luck. It did find my OS tho on the C partition, but for some reason it said "Element not found" on fixboot.

Does anyone have a clue what could fix my problem?

-----
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Memory
Corsair Triple3X Dominator 6GB DDR3-1866 CL9 triple kit
Graphics Card(s)
Club 3D Radeon HD5870
Sound Card
N/A
Monitor(s) Displays
1. Dell 2408WFP. 2. Iiyama ProLite E431S. 3. Sony TV
Screen Resolution
1. 1920x1200. 2. 1280x1024. 3. ?x?
Hard Drives
2x WD Caviar Black 500GB (RAID 0)
1x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
PSU
Corsair HX750W
Case
Cooler Master CM690
Cooling
Stock
Keyboard
Logitech G15 v2
Mouse
Logitech G9
-----

Thanks,

Jesper

Hi all,

I've had Windows 7 since the release date, but for some reason it has stopped working. I can start up my PC, but at the login screen it crashes (sometime bluescreen, sometimes not). I tried safe mode, debug mode, CD-boot, system repair, but it just crashes when I get past the part where Windows does some basic starting.

The problem started today, I went downstairs to get some breakfast, and when I came back my PC was restarting. Then I tried starting it again, but it crashed on the login screen (blue screen). At that point I was able to get into safe mode, but for some reason I'm not able to do that either anymore.

Then I tried "Optimized settings" in my BIOS, and now it sais "Operating system missing". I already tried booting from the CD. I went into command prompt in the "repair PC" screen, and tried:
Bootrec.exe/fixmbr
Bootrec.exe/fixboot
Bootrec.exe/rebuildbcd

But all with no luck. It did find my OS tho on the C partition, but for some reason it said "Element not found" on fixboot.

Does anyone have a clue what could fix my problem?

-----
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
CPU
Intel Core i7 920
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Memory
Corsair Triple3X Dominator 6GB DDR3-1866 CL9 triple kit
Graphics Card(s)
Club 3D Radeon HD5870
Sound Card
N/A
Monitor(s) Displays
1. Dell 2408WFP. 2. Iiyama ProLite E431S. 3. Sony TV
Screen Resolution
1. 1920x1200. 2. 1280x1024. 3. ?x?
Hard Drives
2x WD Caviar Black 500GB (RAID 0)
1x OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD
PSU
Corsair HX750W
Case
Cooler Master CM690
Cooling
Stock
Keyboard
Logitech G15 v2
Mouse
Logitech G9
-----

Thanks,

Jesper

I've seen problems like this fixed with a simple CHKDSK. You will need a utility boot disk that can run CHKDSK.

It seems the optimize bios settings changed some basic part of your system. I am not familar with how that works, but if it changed the hard drive order, you might change it back.

You have a lot of video stuff and video drivers are one of the main causes for blue screens. Perhaps a Windows update changed you video driver.

If you can get back into safe mode, you might check to see if any were added in that period. You might also try doing a restore if you get your system back to where it is trying to boot correctly.

Okay, it's weird, but the entire problem is fixed. The missing operating system message came from loading the "Optimized defaults" in the BIOS, which disabled the RAID. When I enabled the RAID again, the operating system was found again. What is weird tho, is that it also doesn't crash on login anymore... Strange.

Back