Windows 10 Multiple desktop settings

Mork

I am running Windows 10 Pro. I have two monitors: a native one on the laptop and a large secondary one connected to it through HDMI cable. I would like to use the Windows 10 multiple desktops feature. Right now my two monitors act as if they are one large desktop, allowing me to move windows back and forth on them. What I would like to do with the multiple desktops feature is have only the large secondary monitor switch desktops while the primary display on the laptop itself remains as it is, that is, desktop 1. Can this sort of configuration be done with Windows 10 without having to install another program? Thanks.

Hi Mork,
Haven't tried this configuration yet with Win10, but I can tell you it can be done in Win8.1 What is the make/model of your laptop?

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi guys,

What you are saying is you want to have a video on one screen and switch between diff desktops on the other screen? Which program would you download to do this? I never saw this option with any programs on windows 7.

I now have windows 10 and would like to do this.

BIGBEARJEDI, How could you do this with 8.1?

Hi DigDug:
Short answer is yes, based on your video chip or video card's capability to support dual-monitor setup. Most discrete video cards made in the last 5 years have this capability built in. Discrete means they are cards that plug into a slot inside of your computer case, such as PCI, PCIe, PCI Express 3.0, etc. Non-discrete or embedded video chips are hardwired into the Motherboard of your desktop or laptop. Many modern laptops have embedded video chips that will support your ability to run dual-monitors.
Here's how to do it in Win8/8.1:
How to set up multiple monitors In Windows 8

Win10 has basically the same built-in capabilities, with the added feature of being able to manage multiple virtual desktops across multiple monitors as well as the standard multiple monitor feature built in to most video cards/chips as stated above.

Just be aware that older (older than 5 years old; c. 2010) laptops do not support multiple monitor modes, especially on the bargain basement laptops in the $200-$300 range. Of course that's due to them using super cheap embedded video chips which don't have this capability. Most beginning computer Users, kids or seniors aren't going to be hooking up dual monitors to their laptops, so they simply designed that capability out of those low-end laptops. Should you be using a laptop ( you didn't mention which you had a desktop or a laptop?), that cannot use Win8/8.1/10's built in capability for dual monitors, you most likely have one of these low-end video chips. The workaround there is to attempt to download and install the video chip manufacturer's latest driver utilties from their website (i.e.: NVIDIA, ATI/AMD, etc.) and see if their utility program will allow you to perform the dual monitor setup. Some will, and some won't. You will simply have to try it.

Should you have a desktop PC, the best way to do this is to simply purchase a video card that has dual-output capability built into the discrete card circuitry. Video cards that do this run from $70-$400; so you have to also figure out what else you want to do with that card, such as run CAD on one monitor, and play streaming videos or online games on the 2nd monitor. Here's an example of one of these video cards: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-DisplayPort-Profesional-Graphics-VCQFX4800-PCIE-PB/dp/B001L80GOK/ref=sr_1_17?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444929033&sr=1-17&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2883221011

Like I stated in my previous post, I still need to test this on my Win10 test machine. I have several extra LCD monitors to try it with, and I believe the discrete Video card will work with the built Win10 dual-monitor capability. When I get time, I will post that result back here.

Best of luck,
<<<BBJ>>>

Back
Top Bottom