Windows 7 Multiple Notification Area Icons

tclark333

I'm seeing multiple icons for the same program in the notification area. This seems to happen if a program gets closed and restarted in the background. If I hover my mouse over the icons, the extras will go away and only one will remain, so it's almost like the notification area just needs to be refreshed somehow.

Has anyone else seen this problem or know how to keep this from happening?

Welcome to the forums :)
Yup, I'm pretty sure everyone encounters this problem, but it usually only occurs when the application is terminated unexpectedly, then restarted.
Not much you can do about it, try opening Command Prompt as an Admin and typing "sfc /scannow" .. That will check for integrity violations which may be causing the app not to remove the icon when closed.

Do you mean the notification area, or the taskbar. An applicatiuon should not be suddenly appearing in the notification area, only on first installation or use.
But you could try to clean up the notificatin area, if that is the case.Do this.
Unrar the attached file and run the .reg.
This will clear the notification are in the registry. No, important.
Open the Task manager and, in the processes tab, stop, and then restart all instances of explorer.exe.
Logoff and logon, or restart the computer to apply the changes.
This will set the whole of the notification area back to the defaults.

Back
Top Bottom