Windows 7 Multiple User Accounts

saamajaama

Why is it that everything I do on my user account seems to affect my dads separate account. We are both set as administrators to do the things we need to do but if I'm logged on and a program is running, he can't access the same programs. When I try to customize my desktops and remove unnecessary shortcuts, it affects his desktop as well. I am new to windows and would like to avoid these issues. These problems do not exist with my macbook and I'm wondering if it's my unfamiliarity with windows or if the problem is with windows itself. Please help me keep these accounts as separate as possible.

Hello, and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums, as well as Windows.
Since you're new to Windows, I'll assume you've done a "clean" installation of windows 7.
Perhaps you should run the System file checker.
Open the start menu and type in "cmd" Now right click on the file and select "Run as Administator"
Once the program opens, type in "SFC /scannow" and wait for the scan to complete,
Post back your results.

I have the same problem. The desktop icon shortcuts to programs and folders appear to be irrevocably linked to the desktops of all users. All user desktops show the same shortcuts. If I delete one from any user, it's deleted from all users' destops. If it happens to exist in a user's personal desktop file folder, it also is deleted from there. Also, in spite of the fact that a user's personal desktop file folder may only have 5-6 shortcuts listed, all desktop shortcuts that exist show up.

I have tried to move shortcuts from the, what appears to be, the "master" desktop file folder (2 places) and they don't get moved. I can copy the shortcuts from the desktop master file folders to the user's personal desktop file folder but its presence there changes nothing.

I have run the registry scan as recommended and it reports "no problems." Help!

Back