Windows 7 "My computer" no longer exists

AlbinoAsian

I recently installed a problem called EnhanceMySe7en and tried a few tweaks however things didn't really turn out as I had planned.

I made a system restore point before I made the changes, but then when I tried to restore it back, it says there were no points available ... Thats wierd coz I've made 3 restore points over the last 3 days as I've been changing stuff.

Anyways I would love it if anyone knows a possible fix for the problems I've encounterd.

1) The "my computer" link has dissapeared from the start menu (no option to re-add in the startmenu properties)
2) When I open "my computer" shorcut from rocketdock I get no drives showing up
3) Option to add my computer icon to desktop greyed out
4) "My computer" is no longer in the left pane of explorer (libraries and network etc are still there). It means I can't browse to my files. I can only if it lets me type in an address like C:\windows etc... but in some browse dialogs I'm locked out completely
5) Another unrelated issue in my shutdown menu. I have logoff, sleep, hibernate, restart options in my shutdown menu, but no shutdown

I suspect with the My Computer issue that its deleted some registry keys pointing to it... please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix it. Thanks

Hello,

Yes, that tweaking program has caused some serious issues.

I say this because there's only one way that the My Computer entry would be grayed out.

You could try going to Start > Run, and type mmc.

Now choose File > Add/remove Snapin, double=click on Group Policy Client, > Local Computer, then expand Local Computer Policy, > User Configuration > administrative Templates, Desktop. See if the Remove Computer icon on the desktop is configured.. If the Policy is enabled, click Edit and choose Disabled.

You can then go through the other sections looking for any entry that doesn't say"Not Configured.

This is really a long shot, but worth a try

Hello,

Yes, that tweaking program has caused some serious issues.

I say this because there's only one way that the My Computer entry would be grayed out.

You could try going to Start > Run, and type mmc.

Now choose File > Add/remove Snapin, double=click on Group Policy Client, > Local Computer, then expand Local Computer Policy, > User Configuration > administrative Templates, Desktop. See if the Remove Computer icon on the desktop is configured.. If the Policy is enabled, click Edit and choose Disabled.

You can then go through the other sections looking for any entry that doesn't say"Not Configured.

This is really a long shot, but worth a try

you genius, your long shot pulled it off!! Thanks a millions times over.
it didn't say it was enabled (as in the option to disable wasn't configured) however I attempted to force it to disable the disabling if you know what I mean ;) then rebooted.

the my computer icon is no longer greyed out (which I wasn't so worried about) but I now have "computer" back in my places bar, and in the start menu.

all my harddrives are present in "my computer" but not the cd drives, any suggestions?

Thanks so much though, I'm over the moon it works, and in so much gratitude to you =)

Last edited:
No proble....A sigh of relief.

Try to remember to create a restore point when installing new software.

No proble....A sigh of relief.

Try to remember to create a restore point when installing new software.

yeh I did create a restore point, and they disappeared somehow... the wierdest thing.

One more question my cd drives aren't present... although my hd's are. I'm sure there must be somewhere in the group policy to fix that. Where would I look?

ok actually don't worry about it, it seems to be there now too, after another restart.
ALL GOOD

thanks you really do live up to your nickname =)

Back