Windows 7 My Documents folder on C:

tbernstein

Extraordinary Member
My documents are all in a partition (labelled) "Terry" reserved for, well, my documents.
They're in a folder called "My Documents".
But in My Computer there is a "Terry" item too. Which relates to my log-in and is in the users folder of C:
And that one also contains a "My Documents" folder.
(My wife's log-in on our computer has the equivalent.)
I don't mind that, usually.
But it causes terrible confusion in programmes that decide to default to the c:\users\terry\my documents because files sometimes get saved there instead of on our partitions, without us realising.
Is there any way to eradicate the c:\users\...\My Documents folders?

(BTW, I also think that the person who designed that set up, with documents buried several levels down among the settings and then addressed by a virtual folder, ought to have been hunted down by wolves. But that's another matter.)

My documents are all in a partition (labelled) "Terry" reserved for, well, my documents.
They're in a folder called "My Documents".
But in My Computer there is a "Terry" item too. Which relates to my log-in and is in the users folder of C:
And that one also contains a "My Documents" folder.
(My wife's log-in on our computer has the equivalent.)
I don't mind that, usually.
But it causes terrible confusion in programmes that decide to default to the c:\users\terry\my documents because files sometimes get saved there instead of on our partitions, without us realising.
Is there any way to eradicate the c:\users\...\My Documents folders?

(BTW, I also think that the person who designed that set up, with documents buried several levels down among the settings and then addressed by a virtual folder, ought to have been hunted down by wolves. But that's another matter.)

As Agent Data said -- you can rename the specified folder with in My Documents however as far as the location itself goes -- you cannot change the "C:\Users\[INSERT NAME HERE]\Documents" as that is a Windows direct path.

Can you not edit the location where information is saved within the Applications themselves?

As Jessica said.. :p
You should be able to change the default save directory for most applications, check around in the settings.

I'd also like to thank you for providing lots of detail in your post, it helps us get right to the point with you. You have no idea how annoying it is to take a week to round up information from a user before you can even begin helping them :)
Reputation for you!

thanks. You must mean this detail....

" I also think that the person who designed that set up, with documents buried several levels down among the settings and then addressed by a virtual folder, ought to have been hunted down by wolves."

Back
Top Bottom