Windows 7 My Laptop keeps shutting down every 2 hours

takist

I have installed Windows 7 and i find them very practical and amazing. However i face a very strange problem which worries me too much. After the proper installation of Windows 7 and the drivers of my laptop i decided to activate the product key i was given when i downladed Windows 7 RC from microsoft's webpage. The activation was succesfull but the next day my computer started to shut down every 2 hours and keeps doing this every now and again. Is there anything i can do for this problem?

Regards

My Windows 7 shuts also down every 2 hours already now

Hi All,

I am not an expert, so excuse my question. I have downloaded and installed Windows7 RC build 7100 to upgrade from Beta. 3 days ago it started shutting down every two hours as if it were beta. Have registered a new product key for my RC which was accepted. But still same, same. Any help?

A clean installation

I did a clean installation of windows 7 on my laptop, activated it , all my hardware are working fine and I retore all my programmes and files. I never experienced any shuting down. I connected to the net and ran the windows update. Its just like using a final edition. so smooth, soft, glossy and the best windows ever.

Hi All,

I am not an expert, so excuse my question. I have downloaded and installed Windows7 RC build 7100 to upgrade from Beta. 3 days ago it started shutting down every two hours as if it were beta. Have registered a new product key for my RC which was accepted. But still same, same. Any help?

Did you do a clean install of RC or install over the Beta? If not a clean install that could be your problem.

Did you do a clean install of RC or install over the Beta? If not a clean install that could be your problem.

Thanks for your reply/advice. I did install it over the Beta, simply because it was offered as an option without mentioning that this would influence the time until shutdown. That would also make no sense.
I guess I will have to format the harddrive and make a fresh clean install, or is there any other way, without formatting first? Simply run a new install from the dvd with the ISO image did not work.

Another Thought

Check your power settings. Your laptop may be going to sleep on a two hour basis. I seen some laptops go to sleep and not be "wakeable" without a reboot. I set my laptop to never go to sleep but to close the video after a period of time.:rolleyes:

Going into sleep mode could be what is happening as well. Make sure you have checked when that is happening, as I think 2 hours is the default time frame.

I have found sleep mode with Win7 64 works very well on my Dell XPS 1530. I have it set for 5 hours. It goes to sleep and wakes up flawlessly.

Back