Windows 7 My 'my computer' icon is missing and greyed out too!

CheeseNRice

I install Windows 7 build 7100 and for a few days everything was fine. Then, out of the blue, the "my computer" icon went missing.

Also, when I right click on the desktop and select "personalize" > "change desktop icons" My computer is there but greyed out and non-selectable.

Any ideas?

I'd like to avoid a clean install if possible.

Hi CheesenRice,
try the fix found in this link, it may help with your problem. If not post back..

Link Removed - Invalid URL

I tried the link, but no luck. :-( I also tried as many variations and combination sI could think of using the (linked) recommended advice and still no my computer icon. Any other ideas? Thanks for trying kemical.....

I found this link and although is for XP is certainly worth a read: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Also according to the above link it might caused by malware so perhaps a scan is in order?

OK. I have resisted the temptation, but now I have to ask. I am sure there is a good answer.

I have seen quite a few references to Windows 7 "My Computer" (There are two posts just today!).
I have never had "My Computer" in Windows 7, only "Computer". So from where are you people getting this?

Hi RAK, I think thats what they mean anyway, it's just that 'My Computer' is lodged in everyones memory... but yes your right it is actually just 'computer'.

Fixed it!!!

FIXED IT.....(my) "computer" icon now back on my desktop!!!!!

I'm not really sure what I did, but I can retrace my steps here.

1. Tried the link that kemical forwarded me Link Removed - Invalid URL

in various ways (spaces, no spaces, etc. in DOS prompt) Nothing.

2. Then I tried the other link that kemical (aka life saver) sent Link Removed - Invalid URL

But I only tried the part that said Automated Fix Using an Registration File

since I couldn't figure out how to use the other options (maybe you can't in Win 7). I then noticed this little note which stated: NOTE: Ensure your computer is malware free before applying the following solutions.

So, I did a full scan with Avast! and nothing was found. Then I tried SpyBot and it found a few things which I had it remove. After that, I saw that the computer icon under "personalize" > "change desktop icons" was no longer greyed out.....BUT I still didn't have a computer icon on the desktop no matter how many times I clicked to put it on the desktop. I'd click it on and go out of the window. Nothing. I clicked it off and went out. Nothing.

So, I clicked it OFF and restarted my tower (which it froze). But, I restarted again and still no icon. Then I clicked "personalize" > "change desktop icons" and clicked the computer icon to show and BAM! there it was.

Hope that helps and THANKS KEMICAL....

Forgot one thing....

....in "personalize" I clicked OFF "allow themes to change desktop icons." I did this when the "computer" icon was no longer greyed out.

Excellent! Thats great news...:) Thanks for updating your thread.. :)

Back