Windows 7 My Taskbar needs help.

ewirman

I really like W7. Since I began using it when I pin an app the the taskbar, I cannot see it.
If I remove one I can never revert back to it showing on the taskbar. Can anyone Help?

Thanks - df

Normally I just drag and drop anything I want on the task bar but I'm unsure why you wouldn't see them.. It might have something to do with your settings but just to help me further could you post a screenshot perhaps?

Hell\and welcome to the Windows7forums.
Your statement is a bit contradictory, You say you can't see it, then you say when you remove it you can't get it back,

Windows 7's tasbar is quite different from the old Quick Launch Bar.

Could you take a screen shot and post it back here showing the icons that are on the Taskbar (called Superbar now)

You can also go to Start > Run, and type psr and go through the steps you take to try to pin an item to the superbar.

Zip the resulting .mht file and attach it for us to look over.

I can understand why you thought my post was confusing. At this time I cannot drag and drop nor can I go to the app and pin it. The App may show it as pinned as in the psr file but I unpinned it then pinned it with no results. The screen shot is done with FENCES program on. I found that as a work-around for the lack od a quick launch. I did get the Starter app (lighting bolt) to pin to the task bar when I first installed W7. There were some apps already on it (I believe) which I removed to put my choices on. Never could after that.

Please see attached. df

Attachments

• PSR EWIRMAN.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
  • ewirman's desktop.jpg
    ewirman's desktop.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 416
And you say it's been like this ever since you installed 7? Also, you've probably know them already but have you tried messin' with the settings shown in the screenshot?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

My Taskbar needs help. Your Message

Thanks for your reply, kemical.

I think I've made a mistake in terminology. My problem lies with the Quick Launch set. I have seen and made adjustments with the items on your screen shot.

df

Have you tried running the system file scanner? Open command prompt and write:

sfc /scannow

then hit enter. It might turn something up?

Also: If the above fails, try this link..

Link Removed - Not Found

I'm a bit lost,

The Firefox entry actualy says "My taskbar Needs Help, correct?

Have you gone to the properties of Firefox?

Try creating a new shortut for Firefox by navigating to the dirctory rather than having to click 5 times toget the same task accomplished and then pin that to the Start Menu (if that's what you're looking to do).

I hope Kemical's suggestions help you out.

Could you explain what you mean by the "Quick Launch set"?

Last edited:
Sorry about the confusion. By "QUICK LAUNCH SET" I mean the lower left part of the taskbar (new to windows 7 is the larger icon set with a wider/taller bar) Of course the right side is the system tray and all there works fine. I just can't add to the quick launch part of the taskbar. Which is what I'm trying to find out if there is bug in Win7 Pro or if I have a setting wrong somewhere. The scan recommended by kemical had no effect and finished, closed the dos window - that was that, but no results.

"The Firefox entry actually says "My taskbar Needs Help, correct?", reghakr No.

Firefox has nothing to do with this issue. I have no trouble using any of my apps, the recording I made for your analysis was an attempt to pin FF to the Taskbar (as my right click indicates - not superbar) As in "Lock the taskbar". I am a little troubled about the confusion I caused.

If I have confused anyone with my wording or terminology my apologies. I will now checkout, "
Link Removed - Not Found " however it is enabled 'cause I have two icons there that work.

df

Don't worry, it's not your fault.

When you right-click on a shortcut and choose Pin to Taskbar, do you receive any type of message?

Not a fix ,but since you have the Quick launch bar enabled, why not use that for launching your most used pogroms

All Is Well

Thanks for hanging in there. I checked out Link Removed - Not Found recommended by kemical, and I learned a lot. The old Vista quick launch bar apparently is "hidden" in W7. What I was trying to do was add icons the "superbar" thereby giving me the ability to launch apps from there. However after reading the above article I was able to accomplish exactly what I needed to do by using the Quick Launch Bar after a little tweaking and adding my apps there rather than the ones Windows does.

All is well, now that I have achieved the goal I set out to do. Thank you for being so patient with me. Especially, reghakr who asked me all the right questions. And, I believe was about to recommend that I do exactly what I did do in the end. I do not know about putting icons on the superbar however now I don't need to. (Nice cars too.)

Thanks to all.
df

Thank you,

Yes, I enabled the Quick Launch bar within 5 minutes of installing Windows 7.

If you'd like the old Classic Menu,this is the best app I've come across:

Classic Shell

Last edited:
Back