Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

I'm new to overclocking and I followed the guides for the FX cpus and it just wouldn't work on my current pc. It could be a issue with my Carbide 500R case. The case's cooling (fans) are kind of low-tier. Then last month my H-100 died, so I currentl have the stock AMD heatsink in it.
When I build the new pc and have it all setup for a few day's.
I'll then pull this ones motherboard out and put a Zalman CNPS 9900A LED heatsink in this one. I forgot I had it. I accidently found it buried in side another box in my closet last week.
I have to change the mobo backplate to the one that's in it's box.It doesn't have the AMD styled plate like the CNPS 9700 didOnce I change the backplate to the AMD one that came with it, it uses 4 screws like the Intel ones do.
The 9900A LED looks better than the 9700 doesThe center piece where the fan is on the 9900 is open. Then it has copper mesh on both sides of the fan.
This appears to have a little better air flow with the fan being open and the copeer on the outsides of the fan area.
Hey, I've got a question for you. When I get the new case, before I put the motherboard or anything in it, I want to check and configure the cases preinstalled fans and set the speed and color I want them to be. Can I justlu a sata connector into the fan controller hub and then just plug the psu into a surge suppressor and to the wall. The cases fans all plug into the back side of the case behing the mobo are. It has plug ins on it for either 8, 10 or 12 fans back their. After that I know they work, I' ll pull the top 200mm. fan out as the water cooler is going up their. Then if I can do it. I'm gonna have the radiator and it's 4 fans in first and I'll just let the block for the cpu rst on the top opf the case, while the mobo goes in.That's only if I have room to get to the mobos 3 top screws doing it tht way. Should be able to. It's a full-tower.

Thanks will do that. Have to try to go to be now.I've basically been up since Sunday morning. I woke up yesterday 45 minutes after I went to sleep. That's another side effect I've had since November. I can't sleep, but every 1 1/2 to 2 days.

I'm not a huge fan of sleep either.. I'd much rather be awake and up to something.. ;)

I just downloaded the manual for the EVGA SuperNOVA 100 G2 psu, I'm getting. There's something nice that comes with it. It include a power tester for psu's. Here's a zip of the manual: Files too large even though I made a zio file of it. Let me try creating another and see what happens.
Nope, it's saying a 2.3mb. .zip file is too big here.

Off to buy a cheapo headset today. My current one died so need something to fill the gap until I can afford something decent. Nice PSU by the way, I love EVGA products period! I always buy EVGA gpu's as they are simply awesome..

I got a older set at Walmart a few years ago. Logitech with a Microphone.
I'd love to find a pair of Sony's like I used to use with my various walkmans in the 80's & 90's. The bud in the pressed up against the front of your inner ear. Best small headphones, I've ever heard. Then again Sony alway's did make good product's.
I order the psu a week from today.
They've got the 970's I really want. I just can't afford them.
The 2 R9 380X Nitro's I'm getting beat out the 960's and in a few things the 970's, too.
It's a shame, I don't still live in California and that I was still able to work.
I was roughly making close to $3,000.00 after taxes, just taking people to the airport. $2,000.00 of it was tip money.
If I still had that job, the pc would've been done in November and had 3 980ti's.

That was only if I could still work. The 2 Sapphire's I'm gonna get, I don't think cost close to your one. Probably $100-125 less.Actually one of yours is $659. Each of the Sapphires are like $219.

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 psu, motherboard speaker (case doesn't include one) ordered and WWE 2K16 pre-ordered through Steam.
1 more part left for next month. The NZXT Phantom 820 White case.

Nice.. I just fitted a new case too. I got a Corsair 450D and like you had to strip out the old motherboard speaker from the original case. I've got most of the cable routing finished (which took around 5hrs) although I've still to tidy the backside where no one see's.

It's lowered my temps nicely and is a good replacement for my aging Thermaltake Armour Jr.

Good luck with the build!

I'm curious to see what temp's I get with the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240. I watches some videos on it and they showed 37 degrees @ full load w/ only 2 fans and 35 degrees on full load w/ 4 fans. They had both as intake, though.
I'm gonna set both as exhaust.
I'm curious to see how big the Phantom 820 is in person.

I'm still not fully convinced these new watercoolers beat a well set up airflow system running at stock. Overclocked may be a different matter... ;)

I'm going to be overclocking it on day 1.
I'm going to update Windows first and then get the default store app updates. Then I'm going to install the drivers and restart it and setup sli. Restart it again and install AI Suite 3 and the Asus Sonic stuff for sound and configure that and restart it again. Then I'm gonna open up AI Suite 3 and let it's 5-way Optimization do a fail-safe overclock.
The only fans that will be hooked to the motherboard are the waterblock and it's 4 fans.
All the NZXT fans are prewired to thw cases fan controller, which I'm setting to high.

The case also has hue lighting and the preinstalled fans led color can be changed as can a led light on my motherboard.
I'm going with either red or blue. It all depends on which I like better.

Yeah I spent the last few years running an overclocked system and it makes a nice change (for me) to be running at stock values. These chips ( i7 4790K ) are so fast I simply don't feel the need to overclock...Yet ;)

I didn't get the cpu, I really wanted.I really wanted the i7 6700K. Still too expensive for me, so I got the i5 6600K.
I wanted to get 2 GTX 970's, but can't afford them either. Getting 2 Sapphire R9 380X Nitro 4.0GB. instead.
The GTX 960's don't beat them or the 760's I have now.
The newer games are all gonna need 4.0GB cards soon. Some already do.
One of the Sapphire's I'm getting scores a little bit over what my 2 760's get in FireStrike, by around 15-20 points.
It's gonna feel weird being available to change the cases led's and fans to what ever color, whenever I want.

PSU arrives tomorrow. I just pre-hooked the Arctic Liquid Freezers 240's fans to it. When the psu arrives, I'm gonna temporarily take my Intel 530 ssd, Seagate Barracuda 3.0TB hdd and 2 MSI GeForce 760's out of this pc and install Windows 10 Pro, my drivers, Asus software and UEFI updates.
I'm then gonna run AI Suite 3's 5 way optimization as all fans that will be hooked to my new mobo will be hooked up.
The cases fans hook to the cases fan controller.
That way I'll know my cooler, M.2 ssd , the psu, ram and my mobo work.
Then next month I'll just have install everything in the case and re-update Windows and install my other software and games.
Asus just put out a new UEFI for my Maximus VIII Hero last week, so that should be good to go.
I'll have to unhook the top 2 fans to install the Arctic Liquid Freezer 240 in the case. I'm running all 4 as push/pull exhaust.
I'll also, have to pull the cases top 200mm. fan, so the Arctic can go in.

Back
Top Bottom