Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

Not SteamOS itself. I heard it's supposed to be based on Ubuntu. I've used used Ubuntu, it's just been awhile.
I'll have more than enough room on the new pc to try it out.
I can do like I did with 8.1 Pro and 10 (while it was in beta). Have 10 on one ssd and SteamOS on the other ssd.
It can't be that hard to learn SteamOS.

Last edited:
Motherboard arrives today. I'm not sure if I'm going to install it today, though. I may just install my cooler's backplate and the cpu and then do the rest on Friday.
It all depends on what time it come's and how much sleep I got.
I have to try to go to sleep now, but I have to go to the pharmacy, as soon as they open, as my prescription didn't come in by the time I was there yesterday and it was raining all day. Couldn't ride bike there in rain.

Motherboard is ordered.
WooHoo!

So when you install the cpu this time are you going to do it or you gonna ask your friend? Simply because he has the experience of fitting them whereas your used to AMD CPU's..

I'm on my own. I'm gonna use Asus's CPU Installation Tool that comes with the motherboard.

More than likely, that will be the only part that I do today. I woke up when I tried to go to sleep. I've been up for 25 hour's now.
In half an hour, I have to ride my bike to the pharmacy and back home. Then it's a matter of what time it come's.
That plus I'm doing a test for my kidney disease at home today and I have to drop it off at the lab tomorrow and get blood tests, to go with the urine test.
I was figuring on putting the board after that tomorrow.
Then the Friday-Sunday fun begins, installing, setting up and overclocking it.
Planning on doing it in this order;
1. Install Windows
2.Install Drivers
3.Install AI Suite 3
4. Update UEFI (if needed) and run AI Suite 3's 5-way Optimization to overclock it.
5.Run Ninite
6.Get my games
7.Update Windows & Store app's
8.Tweak my Windows settings and apply my registry hacks
9.Install my other software.
10.Re-run Windows Update for M.S. Office
11.Setup my Firefox & Chrome (Easy just have to signing to each, let them get my addons and then apply my settings to them.
12.Apply my settings to my software
13. Let Windows Media Player, Groove Music, Movies & TV, Photos, PowerDVD and MediaShow scan for and add my music, pictures & videos to them. CyberLink adds Quick Time, so I have to uninstallit w/YourUninstaller
Number 13 will take forever. Ihave atleast 650GBs of stuff for all of them to add. MediaShow is slow, with the initial scan for everything. Photos is, too.
Then it will all be done and time to install Bitdefender Internet Security and let it run a full scan. Then update Malwarebytes free and do a full scan with it.
Then it's smooth sailing until I get my new video cards and do another clean install of everything.

kemical: I cheated and put the cpu in my current mobo's CPU Installation Tool. Now, I just have to put it in the new mobo later.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 269
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    342 KB · Views: 274
time to install Bitdefender Internet Security and let it run a full scan. Then update Malwarebytes free and do a full scan with it.
Recently there has been reports of a memory error being caused by using Bit defender and malwarebytes. Apparently this issue will be addressed in the next update of Bit Defender. If I see the article again I'll post it for you.

I forgot about the cpu tool... Nice!

I haven't experienced any issues, so far. I do believe that Bitdefender got a update on Monday, while I was out. It put's up info. in a desktop gadget for it. The only thing it said was I needed to restart my pc for update to take effect.
I restart my pc at least 7 or 8 times a day, after any updates.
Normally, I don't wait for programs autoupdate feature to run. I run them all several times every day.
Windows Update, Windows Store, Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, etc. I also have Raxco PerfectUpdator check for drivers daily. I also look for them manually for the ones I know.
I run Secunia PSI every night to triple check and I check FileHippo and MajorGeeks a few times daily. I get whatever from the companies link, though.

Probably, because I left at like 8:30 A.M.. I updated it, Malwarebytes and Ad-Muncher and restarted my pc before I left.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (Beta) is out for Windows 10 pc's. I've got it downloading on this one now. Curious to see what it's like on the new pc, especially once I have the 2 R9 380X's in it.

No, it's in the Windows Store. I just played it on this pc. The only setting I changed was I put video on medium, because it doesn't currently support sli or crossfire. It only uses one video card and they're supposed to be 4.0GB cards. Mine are 2.0GB's each. No hiccups what-so-ever on this pc. I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and it worked. The controller for the game is supposed to be a Xbox One controller or keyboard.

You're welcome. Still waiting on motherboard to arrive. I'm hoping it's soon. I've been up for almost 31 hours now.
I don't trust my roommates with it.

Motherboard arrived. The cpu backplate , cpu m.2 bracket, m,2 ssd and ram are installed.
The rest I'll do tomorrow after I'm more awake.

Back