Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

Picture of what I installed on motherboard today.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 407
Now I just have to put it in the case later after I get back from the the lab and pharmacy.

Motherboards in the case. Everything is wired, except now I can't find the hdd led or reset wires to plug in. Haven't put the video cards in either.
I'm probably just too tires and not seeing the two wire connectors from the case. I'll probably have to unhook every wire, undo all the harnesses I made in the back just to find them, knowing my luck.
I've only slept 3 hours in the last 3 days and they were all last night.
I think I'll mess with it again Sunday after I'm more awake.

Damn, I didn't get a notification of your new posts... Weird. MoBo looks purdy indeed! Nice job so far.. :)

Regarding the missing connectors, I'd trace the other case connectors back to point of origin and try to see where the two missing connectors branch off. I bet they're around the other side somewhere?

Last edited:
I'm just gonna unhook all connections and redo them from scratch. My case has so many wires just for it, you wouldn't believe it.
1. PWR, Reset, HDD LED (3)
2. $ Channel Fan Controller 1 molex, 3 fan connector wires for each channel (13)
3. Hue based LED lighting SATA connector (1)
I may be missing a few on this list.
When I pulled the back panel off the case when I received it last month, they had every wire wrapped with one cable tie. The wires, all together was a good 1 inch around.
It also came with a 8-pin cpu cable extender. I don't need it, as my psu's is long enough. That's back in the case's box, as is the removable bottom 2 hdd cage, the bottom piece the lower hdd cage slid into and the top 200mm. fan.

I also had to leave my Arctic Liquid Freezer 240's bottom 2 fans out. I removed them, so I could get the motherboard installed easier and be able to get to the motherboards waterblock header, cpu header and cpu optional header. Look at the motherboard picture above. With that piece of plastic moulding that is over the back panel and above the cpu gives you 1/2 inch to get to the top motherboard mounts or 3 cpu fan headers, while the bottom 2 Arctic fans were hooked to the radiator.
I went to put them back in after I had the motherboard in. I had some issues, though.
Isue 1: Left Fan - Can't get to lower left screw due to motherboard back panel/top plastic. No screwdriver is short enough to fit in there straight.
Issue 2: Left fan bottom right screw & right fan both bottom screws wouldn't seat in radiator now.
I spent about 2 hours on that alone and gave up.

Thanks kemical. When it's all done, basically the only wires that will be seen with my case, are the 2 video card's cables and then just where everything is plugged into the motherboard. The Arctic Liquid Freezer 240's top 2 fan's wire's may show, too.
The top panel is the only spot on the case, that the wire management isn't great. Only one hole up top for the 8-pin cpu header.
The case has 2 rows of cutouts on the right side and bottom of motherboard for cable management.
Inside this NZXT Phantom 820 for that reason alone, kick's my Corsair Carbide 500R's ass.
Only thing I like better in the Carbide 500R is the hdd Mounting brackets/mounts and the front-panel 5.25 mounts are better.

Last edited:
One thing I noticed, that's weird. G-Skill made a mistake on their DDR4 ram. Instead of seeing G-Skill and Ripjaws V on the left side after it's installed in the motherboard, you see the side with the label that has the rams serial number, timings, etc.

Yippee!
  • Now we just need a hyper-v server mounting a centos dns to allow your website to be hosted locally yes?
Perhaps we’ll start that project next week…

Once it's done, I need to see what exactly DAEMON Tools Pro Standard is. It's one of the Asus freebies with the motherboard.

it allows you to built a V disc drive and load iso files into it ... I'm impressed Asus gave you that as a free-b, is it just a demo copy perhaps?

Between Windows & CyberLink MediaSuite 12 Ultra will I need it installed ? CyberLink's gonna be updated to newer version in July.Between Windows 8.1/10 and CyberLink, I think iso mounting is covered already.
CyberLink I need for my Blu-ray re drive.

Here's Asus's page for my Hero. Now it has SteamOS, too. First link is the general info. That one lists SteamOS way towards bottom of page. The 2nd link is the actual Hero downloads page. http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/ MAXIMUS VIII HERO - Support
On the 2nd link you need to click Drivers & Tools, then Windows 10 64 bit and then Utilities.
There's also software that come's with it that's only on it's DVD that come's with the board.
Free year of Kaspersky Antivirus (use Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 - so don't need Kaspersky)
Sonic Studion and other stuff for the HD Audio on board.
The rest is on the 2nd link's page.

Asus give's a lot as it's a R.O.G. based motherboard. ROG CPU-Z, ROG GPU-z if you go to GPU-z's page,
Some other Asus stuff with it:
Mem TweakIt
RAMCache
RAMDisk
KeyBot 2 (for PWM Keyboards)
LightingControl (for Hero lighting on board- I can change color of Asus logo on board)
ROG Connect Plus
Asus HyStream
Asus HomeCloud
Asus WebStorage
Asus PC Diagnostics
Asus GameFirst

The online backup stuff I probably won't use as I use Carbonite and have unlimited space with it.

Asus WebStorage
its worth having some basic stuff backed up here... I just have drivers and some 3rd party software (like my textaload) on mine

Free year of Kaspersky Antivirus
I'm not a fan myself

I think iso mounting is covered already.
the thing is Deamon allows you to copy ANY iso disc not just the ones coded to work in your area... you prob wont end up needing it but who knows.

I'll probably install DAEMON Tools Pro, then. I've got my paid software & all drivers & utilities for various hardware saved to OneDrive. My Carbonite account has everything.
Plus, I use the Windows 7 Backup feature in 10 for system images & backups.
I don't waste my time with FileHistory. It's still as buggy as it was in Windows 8 & 8.1.
Here's the bug I noticed with it. For Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures & Videos, it will copy a folder and then not copy what's in that folder.
That plus I don't like not having more options on how often it runs. No weekly (which I use), monthly, etc.
I don't have enough that changes on a daily basisi to need to run more than on a weekly basis.
If I have any paid software or driver updates, I copy them to OneDrive and delete the old version there. Plus, they're on Carbonite, too.

Back