Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

I just got some good news. Arctic Cooling is sending me a free replacement backplate and it's and it bolts. I just emailed them a copy of my invoice.
As far as going wirh the 850 EVO 500GB m.2 ssd. I have a lot of stuff on my pc. You saw thee above games list. With the 840 Pro 256GB on this pc, I had to put all my games on the Intel 530 Series 480GB ssd.
The Samsung's are way faster because of Rapid Mode.
On the new pc, I'm gonna have all the newer games on the Samsung. Batman: Arkham Knight, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Titanfall: Deluxe Edittion. The Windows 10 modern games all don't let you move them off of C: drive. What won't fit on the 850 EVO with a little free space left on it, I'll use GameSave Manager to move them from C; to the Intel 530 Series 480GB ssd with symbolic links.

As far as the games I have above, I'm sure I'll have to edit some config files to get that resolution in them.

It's weird, I knew this ahead of time from checking LG's site first. Newegg say's my monitor has dvi ports. It doesn't. It only has 2 hdmi ports and a headphone jack. It come's with a hdmi cable. If I ever get real bored, I can buy a 6' hdmi cable, plug my Xbox 360 or cable tv box and headphones into the monitor and watch tv or playXbox 360 games in ips, instead of my tn hdtv.
Now, I'm gonna need a newer, bigger hdtv. My current monitor looks better than it, but is the same size 21.5". Looks better because of my calibrator.
Now my hdtv is gonna be small, though. That will have to wait until 2017.

I' waiting for Samsung to come out with a 1TB m.2 ssd and the prices to drop on them. Then I can replace the 850 EVO 500GB m.2 and take out the Intel 530 Series 480Gb ssd.
Newegg is supposed to receive my motherboard on Friday. Then it takes them 4-5 days to ship me one back.
Hopefully, I'll be on the new pc 21/2-3 weeks from now.
I may lookup and see if AMD still put's out drivers for my old HD 5770. If they do, I'll put that in the new one until July.
I saw a few video's earlier. One speculated that the RX 480 8GB version will be $250.00. Another said NVIDIA won't be releasing the GTX 1060 until fall.
I guess I'm sticking with the RX 480 8GB and I'm only getting one.
That will be August.
September will be all my red led fans for the case and the pc will be done. At least for a year.
Maybe November/December will be a 25" hdtv.

AMD doesn't support the Radeon HD 5***, HD*** and HD7*** series cards anymore. I guess, I'll be using the motherboards onboard Intel 550 video until August on the new pc.
I'll just download and install my games, but won't play them until August. Either that or I won't install them later this month and do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64 again in August when I have a RX 850 8GB video card.
At least the motherboard has a hdmi and a display port adaptor, so I can get Windows 10 Pro x64 installed on it later this month.

AMD supports the HD 5****/ 6**** series that is why you still see youtube videos of new processors with the older HD 6, and 7 series, as well as the much older 5 series and modern games. AMD is nothing like nVidia which intentionally breaks gaming performance for older cards through lack of driver optimization over time. AMD does not do that they do the opposite. Watch this video and it's mostly true.

brkkab here is the general simple workaround for the new Crimson Drivers. They don't actually list the new Crimson Drivers as compatible @ AMD for older cards but obviously they are - but need a tad workaround for older GPU's like yours. I confirmed it worked with a customer I had with a rebuild I did replacing his FX 4100 with an FX 8320/SSD and for now he is keeping his HD 5850. Here is the link.

I just installed AMD Crimson and there's no new UI • /r/Amd

Actually William B is right. Here's what I just got from the AMD page for the HD 5770 when I asked Bing Download Drivers
I searched Bing with "Does AMD still support the Radeon HD5770?".
The first time I searched it and went to AMD's page on it, it said that the only driver for the Radeon cards I listed was the last driver for them. It was a Crimson beta driver from March, 2016.
Weird to get 2 different results from them.

You should have no real issues with your setup. One thing I really like about what you are doing, which is the same thing I do is make really sure I am on the right platform to take advantage of a newer GPU when I get it (your Intel I5 setup). Obviously that HD 5770 with the driver updates AMD gives is going to allow you to play games at medium settings and at least have a decent time doing so and it should be much better than the built in Intel I-GPU for gaming as well to hold you over for a while. I was quite stunned when that customer I was talking about with the HD 5850 was able to play Skyrim on high settings fine, as well as Dying Light with a mix of medium with a few settings on high with the new AMD drivers it seemed to perform very well, Kudos to AMD for that.

I cannot wait to see your build come together!

Last edited:
Yeah, I go overboard in some areas. I clean my ssd/hdd numerous time's daily. Disk Cleanup (3 modes), ATF Cleaner, CCleaner and then everything cleanup wise in System Mechanic Standard once a day.
CCleaner anytime after I close Windows Mail or a web browser.
Hardware wise, ever since I was planning on getting the Sapphire RX 380X, I've been downloading the current drivers for it and putting them on OneDrive.

I can't wait to use it. I'll be happy for now Tuesday when the new monitor arrives. As far as the monitor, from the various videos I saw on 2560 X 1080 monitors, I'll have to do those display settings in NVIDIA Control Center on this pc and then figure out to do them on the new one in Crimson, so they work.
Monitors 2560 X 1080 @ 60-75Hz.

It was funny the first video I watched on the monitor. The kid tried using it on a Apple and couldn't get those settings to work. He called Apple Support, they told him it was a nice monitor and it didn't work with his Apple pc. He had to hook it up to his Windows pc. I'll try to find it again and post it here.

I don't like how the kid in the monitor video, couldn't get his own knife.
I'm gonna reinstall the NVIDIA drivers for my 2 GTX 760's on this pc myself. The newest NVIDIA drivers released were buggy and I had to go back one driver version.
I've got the current LG driver & software downloaded, too.

Last edited:
Yes that was a FTL moment :) I saw that too. He was too impatient as well. However I would like to thank you for even posting a link the display because I had not seen that particular one before.

Dougie are your results similar to my 840 above? (er well back a few posts lol)
My results for my Samsung 850 EVO in Rapid Mode.

ww.png

Yeah, I wasn't even thinking about LG. I was looking on Newegg at the various ones and reading reviews there. Then I did a search for reviews on it and came across that video review and a few written reviews. For the price I got it for, I don't think I'll have any complaints.
Matter of fact, if I remember right, when I got this 21.5" ViewSonic tn LED monitor, it was about the same price. Maybe $5.00 or $10.00 less.
I like the way the stand for it screws into the monitor.
The other's I saw on Newegg, that was the major complaint with most of them. Cheap stand on them.
I already know about the LG's back being a fingerprint/smudge magnet. Atleast the front isn't. With my ViewSonic, everything except the screen is a fingerprint/smudge magnet. I won't miss thw lower left side bezels large white LED & 1080P Full HD stickers either. I will miss where the power button is though.
I like how all the selections are on the one big button on the new one, though.

Back