Need help deciding on 2 components for new pc build

It's looking like I may be getting my red led case fans in September, instead of October.
Currently nobody in the U.S. has the Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 8GB video card I want.
Amazon has one seller that has it, but they're price is over $300.00 for it.
I'm not paying more than Sapphire set price of $279.99 for it.
Looking like October will be the video card month for me.
The Nvidia GTX is more money and doesn't score as good on benchmark's, so it's not a option I want to pursue.
Now, I really need to start comparing the 140mm & 200mm led fan reviews to see which I want.
My case can fit 4 140mm. fans and 2 200mm. fans.
I'm not worrying about any for my Arctic Liquid Freezer 240, as I'm going to be upgrading it to a EKWB Predator XLC 240 in January or February.
When that upgrade comes around, I'm just going with the EKWB Vardar fans. Probably either the EK-Vardar F4-120 or EK-Furious Vardar F5-120.
If I go with the slower EK-Vardar F4-120's, I'll only need 2 additional fans for push/pull. For the EK-Furious F5-120's, I'd need to get 4.
With the EKWB Predator XLC 240, I could also water cool the video card down the road if I wanted to.

Last edited:
It's looking like I may be getting my red led case fans in September, instead of October.
Corsairs AF 140mm are pretty good. I have these in my case and have a fan controller on them. They look great as well as shifting a lot of air!

I've got 2 of the origina Corsair AF 140's now. I want all red led fans to go with my cases red led color I'm using. I'm even going to be ordering a red & silver Asus Republican of Gamers sticker to put on my front panels magnetic door that hides my optical drives & memory card reader. Shame I can't find it in led. too.
I did some searching on EK's site last night. I'm gonna go with the EK Varder-F4-120's for the EK XLC Predator 240 when I get it. They now sell a kit that add's 2 more of the EK Vardar-F4-120 fans for 36.00.
That's $4.00 cheaper, than ordering them separately.
Down the road I may look for some red wrapped wires for my psu. The only red ones that came with my psu are the video card wires. The rest are wrapped in black

Last edited:
Figures, now I just got a notification from Newegg stating they now have the Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 8GB video card in stock.
I still may get the fans out of the way first next month and leave a little bit of money towards the video card in October.

Last edited:
Cool stuff.

How has the system been running lately? Did you manage to get everything sorted out or do you still have issues remaining?

When I do the new fans next month, I'm gonna redo my Arctic Liquid Freezer 240's wiring on the fan headers.
This time around I'm going to finally hook the reservoir to the motherboards water pump header and then hook 2 fans to the cpu header and the other 2 to the cpu optional header.
Right now the radiator is hooked to the cpu header and the 4 fans are hooked to the cpu optional header.
I may also take a look at the back of my case. I have a feeling I may be able to fit a 2nd 140mm. fan back there.
If I can fit a 2nd 140mm. fan back there, then I'll have 2 200mm intake fans, 3 140mm. intake fans, 2 140mm. exhaust fans (back of case) and 4 1200mm. push/pull exhaust fans (top of the case).
All with the cases included dust filters, except the 140mm. intake fan I put inside the case on it's pivot mount.
I figure I'll get the hard stuff out of the way, before the video card.
The EK Predator XLC 240 in push/pull will be a easy upgrade. I learned a trick along the way that makes it easy.
Use 4 short screws to hold the radiator to the case, then screw one 120mm. fan to it up top. Then remove the 4 short screws and screw in the 2nd 120mm. fan on the top.
Bottom 2 fans are hooked to radiator first and all wires hooked to motherboard before installing radiator & top 2 fans.
Once the new water cooler is in, I'm going for 4.6-4.7 on a overclock.
Once all that is done, I'll be on a lookout for a EK addon for the Sapphire NITRO+ RX 480 8GB video card.
Right now I have it back to stock speeds.

Last edited:
System is so so, so far. They put up 2 new updates for 10 today, so hopefully they fixed the bug in Windows 10 1607 that I've experienced. I won't know until tomorrow or the next day as 2 of the things I've experienced both take up to 3-12 hours to see if they work properly now.
1. Photos app had all my pictures added last week. I opened it a second time and the wheel in it only spun 10-15 seconds. That's normal. Every day since that wheel spins for over 12 hours. Big bug.
Cyberlink MediaSuite 14 Ultra's MediaShow 6 freezes up. Probably affected by same bug effecting Photos app.
Then FileExplorer shows "We're working on it" frequently.
As far as Photos & MediaShow 6 it will take hours to figure out if it's fixed.
I'm not experiencing the FileExplorer issue now.
During the Photos & MediaShow 6 runs my hdd has been disappearing, too.
After a restart it shows back up and has never made any loud clicking noises, so the hdd is good.
Asus released new Intel chipset and Intel MEI drivers last week. Nvidia released new drivers on the same day, too.
I got all of them, the most current UEFI 1902 for my mobo.Now, I'll just need to wait until tonight to check if MediaShow 6 is working right. I have a ticket in with Cyberlink in case it needs a patch created for it. I haven't heard anything back yet, though.
I need to go to the store in a while, so I'm gonna open the Photos app. If the update today for Windows 10 fixed it, the wheel shouldn't be spinning in it when I get home. As I'll probably be out for over a hour.

I've got a routine I do after downloading pictures. Close browser, run CCleaner, run EasyDuplicateFinder, open WMP, close WMP, open WMP, close again, open PowerDVD, close PowerDVD, open PowerDVD, close again, open Photos app.
When Photos app & MediaShow 6 are working correctly they also get opened and closed twice to add new pictures.

I just ordered my new case fans 4 Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm red leds and 2 Bitfenix Spectre Pro 200mm. red leds.
Now all that;s left for now is the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GBOC video card next month and the EKWB EK-XLC Predator 240 QDC and 2 additional Vardar F4-120 fans for push/pull.
Next year will probably be a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ssd to replace my Intel 530 Series 480GB ssd.
Depending on prices after that upgrade, I may switch to a 64GB DDR4 3200 ram kit.

I can't get my dog his CCL Tear surgery as I can't afford the $2500.00 it cost's. I heard about some medicine that will help rebuild his knee called Dasuquin.
I just ordered Sebastain 150 tablets of it from PetMeds, hopefully it helps him.

I'm still waiting to hear back from a company that makes knee braces for dogs on a price for one for him.
The problem is I've got a list of organizations that help cover his surgery expenses. I sent all of them emails or filled out there online forms and haven't heard back from any of them yet.
That was all done by me over the last 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom